Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex knight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
iPhone G3 in UK

Hi will I be able to run a dual sim in the new iPhone G3?

I have two sims under different mobile companies

Can anyone advise please :)

Kind regards

Alex

noshjewman

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
The reports are that unlocking the iPhone 3G (which is what you would need to do to run a non-O2 sim in the phone) will be harder than before.
I think that someone will manage though.
Until the phone comes out however, we can't know how long it will take - or indeed how stable the unlocking will be.

So... the answer to your question is... you'll have to wait and see.

alex knight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
:-(

If its not as easy as the iphone i wont rush out on the 11th and buy one :-(

lol

many thanks for that :)

alex

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I'm hoping it'll be impossible to unlock the new ones and you'll have to use an iPhone1 if you want it unlocked.

That way my day 1 purchased iPhone might be worth something :)

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
I'm hoping it'll be impossible to unlock the new ones and you'll have to use an iPhone1 if you want it unlocked.

That way my day 1 purchased iPhone might be worth something :)

I'm sure it will be possible to unlock the new ones - but the incentive to do so will be a lot smaller. Although the PAYG pricing hasn't been announced, it's probably not going to be cheap. On a contract, it'll be activated before you leave the shop - and unless there's a load of hacked apps you want to use, I can't see too many people getting into a contract in order to unlock the iPhone.

Think you might be able to get something for your one!

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I'm sure it will be possible to unlock the new ones - but the incentive to do so will be a lot smaller. Although the PAYG pricing hasn't been announced, it's probably not going to be cheap. On a contract, it'll be activated before you leave the shop - and unless there's a load of hacked apps you want to use, I can't see too many people getting into a contract in order to unlock the iPhone.

Indeed.

Think you might be able to get something for your one!

It's worth £50 I suppose. I'm comfortable with the early adopter tax really. I've had 7 or so months of this amazing device and it still has me grinning.

I only hope O2s 3G rollout goes better than their feeble EDGE rollout.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.