Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Tewksbury Massachusetts
Greetings,

Another game for the iPhone is up on my website. This is a small and playable version of the classic turn-based Star Trek game. Your mission is to rid the galaxy of the Klingons who are attempting to conquer the galaxy. This is a somewhat limited version. First, there is no save game feature yet. Second, there are only Klingons - not Klingons and Romulans as in "Super Star Trek". And finally not all features are fully implemented yet (such as damage control).

However, you can fully play the game and prevent the Klingon empire from conquering the galaxy.

Visit my website for full instructions on how to play.

This can be considered an alpha and I will continue to evolve the game as time permits.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sector.jpg

- Les

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Looks like fun. Thanks!

I might even remember how to play. A long time ago, in an OS far, far away, I spent way too many hours playing both versions. (The land of 8" floppies, DEC RT-11 and ADM-3's.)

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Seems to play nicely.

One suggestion would be to auto-size the game grid when you start.

Looking fwd to SST. (Complete with shuttles converted to McDonalds? :) )

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
beat me to it :)

my take on it will be available for beta-testing next weekend, i think.

Update: hey, do you mind if on my spash screen i put a link to your game? Mine is more of a re-imagining of the "classic" game, and it might be nice to provide a pointer if people are looking for something a little more true to the game they might already know.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
torpedo aim

Seems torpedos are very accurate, so it's hard to see if there's a chance error factor. If memory serves (iffy sometimes), aiming used to be a bearing from the Enterprise. 360 degrees labeled every 45, so, for instance, 60 would 2.5. (might be off on the vector numbering, but this is close.)

Perhaps after selecting Torpedo, a touch and hold on the E would bring up an aiming device (like a compass rose), then touch the bearing that looks closest to the direction of the target.

Or not... :) Really enjoying as-is.

It was just a thought, as it's bringing up fond memories.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Seems torpedos are very accurate, so it's hard to see if there's a chance error factor. If memory serves (iffy sometimes), aiming used to be a bearing from the Enterprise. 360 degrees labeled every 45, so, for instance, 60 would 2.5. (might be off on the vector numbering, but this is close.)

Perhaps after selecting Torpedo, a touch and hold on the E would bring up an aiming device (like a compass rose), then touch the bearing that looks closest to the direction of the target.

unfortunately, no way to detect touch-and-hold on iphone right now :-( All the mouse click events fire simultaneously.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
unfortunately, no way to detect touch-and-hold on iphone right now :-( All the mouse click events fire simultaneously.

Guess I was thinking of the number grid that one of the Sudoku games used - but, it actually came up with just a touch. I just remembered it wrong.

So, just a touch might be fine, unless there was already some other action coded.

iLes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Tewksbury Massachusetts
beat me to it :)

my take on it will be available for beta-testing next weekend, i think.

Update: hey, do you mind if on my spash screen i put a link to your game? Mine is more of a re-imagining of the "classic" game, and it might be nice to provide a pointer if people are looking for something a little more true to the game they might already know.

Yeah, I took the "classic" route - it's what I remember most. And I would be honored if you linked to my game from your splash screen.

- Les

iLes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Tewksbury Massachusetts

I should definately add some error to the torpedoes. Right now they go directly where you tell them to - it's almost too easy. I'll see what I can do to get this working better.

Edit: Actually I'm thinking of making the torpedoes fire either diagonally or straight. I may do that instead. That way you'll have to manuever your ship (thus consuming time) to get a clean shot.

- Les

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I should definately add some error to the torpedoes. Right now they go directly where you tell them to - it's almost too easy. I'll see what I can do to get this working better.

Edit: Actually I'm thinking of making the torpedoes fire either diagonally or straight. I may do that instead. That way you'll have to manuever your ship (thus consuming time) to get a clean shot.

- Les

in mine it's a function of distance, torpedo "level," and torpedo system damage.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
My version is close to playable, and I'm on track for some beta testing this weekend, I think. If you're interested in beta testing, send me a private message.

This version is inspired by, but quite different than, the traditional trek game.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
beta available

My "version" is now available for beta testing. It still needs some graphics work, and a couple of features are missing (for example, at higher levels different kinds of enemy ships are not yet fully implemented), and difficulty need to be tweaked. I will be releasing updates as I discover issues.

http://www.tictacwhoa.com/trek.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.