Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
I wanted to show you a cool prototype picture I found for an addon controller...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielmacdonald/2127089390/

Before, this controller idea would've failed. But now, the iPhone's brand new 3.0 OS allows apps downloaded from the app store to use add on peripherals like this controller. There is a race right now among hardware manufacturers to be the first to create an awesome gaming peripheral for the iphone thats a hit.

Also...

Whoever makes the iphone's first gaming addon, three requirements are must haves...

1. The peripheral should look very sleek, flush with the phone and use the same black plastic found in the front of all iphones. iPhone owners care greatly about how thier device looks.

2. The peripheral must have dual analog sticks/nubs. Imagine the PSP's analog nub, but on both sides. Portable gamers have been clamoring for this feature forever now, so it's about time they get it. I can't overstress how important it is the the iPhone's gaming pad has DUAL ANALOG NUBS.

3. The peripheral must have two shoulder buttons and a solid D-Pad akin to the PSP/PS3's D-Pad to enable fighting games.

Do these things and the peripheral will be a big hit.

Also the smaller the add on, the better. It should be as small as humanly possible. People don't like large bulky addons. And it should have a rectangular design with curved edges identical to the iphone.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
There's clearly a chasm in iphone owners here. There's the casual gamers who play the occasional game, couldn't care less about have physical controls or dual analog nubs, usually never buy the hardcore $10 games anyways, and think this whole addon idea is dumb.

Then there's the hardcore gamers who own PSPs and DSs and play them often and buy tons of premium iphone games and would love to have physical controls to improve the interface.

The thing is, the first group doesn't need to buy the add on, I'm certain that pretty much all games would function without out just because of hte size of the market, the addon would just make them control better.

This addon would be for the second group only.

And thus neglecting critical aspects like dual analog nubs that hardcore gamers deeply care about is out of the question imo.

Davide82

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
yea this isnt that an original of an idea. never the less , its still such an unoriginal idea that im suprised these things arent being sold in best buy yet. all the crazy **** they come out with for the iphone( didnt some guy make a stun gun?) when are they going to make an iBong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.