Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iestyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Hello,

Bit of an odd one - it's happened over these past two days now. My battery was at about 35%, and the iPhone just switches itself off, no 'low battery' warning or anything. When I hit the power button to try and get back on, it displays the battery up top of the screen, with a red juice bar, and the Apple connector underneath it.

Once I'm home, and connect the cable, the iPhone boots straight up, and shows a healthy-ish 35% battery.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I have been using the camera a lot these past few days, but nothing too crazy.

iPhone 6s, running iOS 10.1.1.

Thanks!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hello,

Bit of an odd one - it's happened over these past two days now. My battery was at about 35%, and the iPhone just switches itself off, no 'low battery' warning or anything. When I hit the power button to try and get back on, it displays the battery up top of the screen, with a red juice bar, and the Apple connector underneath it.

Once I'm home, and connect the cable, the iPhone boots straight up, and shows a healthy-ish 35% battery.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I have been using the camera a lot these past few days, but nothing too crazy.

Thanks!
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-6s-turning-off-at-10-20.1954530/

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Hello,

Thanks!

Unfortunately it is not an "odd one" and it is happening to many. The above URL in CD M's thread, above, explains.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hello,

Thanks!

Interesting. Wondering if it could be as simple as a battery replacement to repair the issue.

spinnersb

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2016
Interesting. Wondering if it could be as simple as a battery replacement to repair the issue.

Is there actually a decent answer in that thread? All I see is loads of misinformation. I'm going to assume given the widespread nature of the issue, it's a software bug. But would like to confirm so I can just go replace my 7 if it turns out to be a faulty battery. My problem extended beyond this though...had the typical death cycle in the ~25-30% range, so I plugged it in immediately and then moments (<1-2 minutes) it was saying 100%.

iPhone 7, Public Beta 10.2+

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is there actually a decent answer in that thread? All I see is loads of misinformation. I'm going to assume given the widespread nature of the issue, it's a software bug. But would like to confirm so I can just go replace my 7 if it turns out to be a faulty battery. My problem extended beyond this though...had the typical death cycle in the ~25-30% range, so I plugged it in immediately and then moments (<1-2 minutes) it was saying 100%.

iPhone 7, Public Beta 10.2+

You do realize this an opinionated thread where other forum members offer there best possible answer, in hopes in targeting the issue at hand, if they are able to actually determine the issue.

No one here, including yourself, can fully diagnose an issue many do not have experience with, let alone not even seeing the device in person or conducting diagnostic tests.

Your answer is not worth in value than any other forum members is for that matter. We can only speculate. Even Apple might not even have an answer, with the possible route of offering a device replacement at best.

Your concept of "Loads of Misinformation" is subjective and holds no weight, being everyone will have differing suggestions or troubleshooting techniques. It's the internet, not a tech repair shop.

Reactions: Thor_1

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
Hello,

Thanks!
The same thing happened to me except at 23%. I'm pretty sure this is a software bug because the Apple Online Support person said my battery was healthy.

Laserducky

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
Hello,

Thanks!

Same issue started with my wife's 6s. Took it into Apple Store and they replaced it as they said there was something wrong with it after running diagnostics.

Cheers !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.