Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benfilan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
Ireland
just ordered an iPhone, and waiting for it to arrive. i want to unlock it so that it will work with O2 here in the UK. i'm getting a bit confuzzled with all the different versions of things floating round. i'm using itunes 7.4.1, does this make hackery not an option? if not, what should i use to unlock my iphone?

thanks for your help!:confused:

oseary

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Columbia, MO
just ordered an iPhone, and waiting for it to arrive. i want to unlock it so that it will work with O2 here in the UK. i'm getting a bit confuzzled with all the different versions of things floating round. i'm using itunes 7.4.1, does this make hackery not an option? if not, what should i use to unlock my iphone?

thanks for your help!:confused:

No need to unlock it... As of today. :p

Enjoy your phone m8.

However, if you're talking about adding custom things to it, follow the guide to get installer.app installed onto the phone, which will allow for custom apps to be installed onto it, which requires no "hacking" knowledge of any sort, no hardware soldering, nothin'. It'll round off the applicable rough edges of the phone (still no mms tho :-( ), and make it just that much better of a phone.

I use iTunes 7.4.1 without any issues syncing my phone, though it's hacked.

Hope this helped!

benfilan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
Ireland
surely, if i've gotten it from america, it'll be locked to AT&T? i'll still have to unlock it to use with o2?

argh, i'm confused!

oseary

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Columbia, MO
surely, if i've gotten it from america, it'll be locked to AT&T? i'll still have to unlock it to use with o2?

argh, i'm confused!

Yea, I realized that about an hour after I replied... If you would have waited just a few more days!! :)

Who did you buy it from? Apple, or some other store? My question is, maybe you could refuse the shipment and get your money back, then turning around to get the official O2 one, with no need to unlock?

It's up to you, as my personal opinion is to error on the side of caution (sending the AT&T one back, getting the "o2 version") to have that 100% guarantee that my phone works.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe you can restore it using iTunes, which in the UK should give you 1.1.1, which will work with O2.

Otherwise, you pretty much fail. You "just" ordered one, yet all over the internet the September announcement in the UK was posted. :rolleyes:

benfilan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2006
Ireland
Maybe you can restore it using iTunes, which in the UK should give you 1.1.1, which will work with O2.

Otherwise, you pretty much fail. You "just" ordered one, yet all over the internet the September announcement in the UK was posted. :rolleyes:

i know i know, i suck, and before the announcement i felt like a bit of a douche for being so impatient, but now that i know about the UK tariffs etc, i'm not bothered :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.