Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
My dad laptop is in a foreign country. His iPhone 7+ is giving out, the microphones broken so he can’t make calls including emergency calls. He also can’t receive calls. It’s been that way for over 6 months despite numerous attempts to fix this. I’m buying him an iPhone 11. He is a music head and his songs on his phones are super important. If I back up to iCloud and restore from the backup, will it transfer his songs to the new phone?

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Hopefully you'll get an expert answer.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think songs will only transfer if you subscribe to Apple Music, or pay for the iTune Match (which I'm not even sure is still around).
I hope you find an answer!

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Hopefully you'll get an expert answer.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think songs will only transfer if you subscribe to Apple Music, or pay for the iTune Match (which I'm not even sure is still around).
I hope you find an answer!
Ugh that’s lame if that’s the case.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Found this. If I read correctly, Backups don't include music. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136

an internet search found all these different programs to transfer from phone to phone.

can your dad access a computer with iTunes? Or, can he access all the digital music on a computer? He might have to resync the music library from a computer.

ptfuzi

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2019
My dad laptop is in a foreign country. His iPhone 7+ is giving out, the microphones broken so he can’t make calls including emergency calls. He also can’t receive calls. It’s been that way for over 6 months despite numerous attempts to fix this. I’m buying him an iPhone 11. He is a music head and his songs on his phones are super important. If I back up to iCloud and restore from the backup, will it transfer his songs to the new phone?
Does your dad's iTunes has the music? If it has you just have to sync.

If not there are apps that can extract the music files from the iPhone so you can then import to iTunes, and sync with any device

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
iCloud doesn't back up your local music (imagine the storage required if it does).

This is going to take a bit of work, and assuming your dad has access to a computer, and somebody can access his computer, and that you have a cloud storage with ample enough room for your dad's music library.
1. Find the iTunes library folder on you dad's original computer.
2. Upload the whole folder into a cloud storage of your choice.
3. Download the folder into a computer that he can access now, retaining all the folder structure.
4. Then you can run iTunes on the computer. Basically you're duplicating his iTunes library.

Or, for temporary solution, just have your dad subscribe to a trial of Apple music. At least he can listen to some music in the meantime until he returns to his home and resync his music library.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Found this. If I read correctly, Backups don't include music. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136

an internet search found all these different programs to transfer from phone to phone.

can your dad access a computer with iTunes? Or, can he access all the digital music on a computer? He might have to resync the music library from a computer.

let me clarify. I’m in the USA with him next to me Literally. He left his laptop overseas with no time table as to when he can return due to Covid19. So no way to sync it with the MacBook 6000 miles away. I think getting a program to sync his phone and transfer it is the best solution.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
iCloud doesn't back up your local music (imagine the storage required if it does).

This is going to take a bit of work, and assuming your dad has access to a computer, and somebody can access his computer, and that you have a cloud storage with ample enough room for your dad's music library.
1. Find the iTunes library folder on you dad's original computer.
2. Upload the whole folder into a cloud storage of your choice.
3. Download the folder into a computer that he can access now, retaining all the folder structure.
4. Then you can run iTunes on the computer. Basically you're duplicating his iTunes library.

Or, for temporary solution, just have your dad subscribe to a trial of Apple music. At least he can listen to some music in the meantime until he returns to his home and resync his music library.
He’s super frugal lol no way he’d pay that monthly. Lol love him. He’s 73 but loves his tech stuff. He will get blown away by the night time abilities of the 11 cause he likes taking pics. Trying to convince him not to get the boring colors like black or red. Liking the green. That what I’ll get him.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
He’s super frugal lol no way he’d pay that monthly. Lol love him. He’s 73 but loves his tech stuff. He will get blown away by the night time abilities of the 11 cause he likes taking pics. Trying to convince him not to get the boring colors like black or red. Liking the green. That what I’ll get him.
I mean at least get him the trial subscription, which I think can be 3 months long for new users. Then cancel right after. At least he can enjoy some music, giving you time to figure things out.

wicked271

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
Philippines
I would second the iMazing app. I use my laptop to transfer files from my families/friends phone to their new phones. It can also backup files or export to your Mac music/photos/etc. Maybe you can use the trial version first and try it out.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
can imazing also work on a 5g iPod (click wheel). I tried going on the website and they speak about iOS support but no iPod support is mentioned for the current version. I might need this as well so this is the path I’ll take.

wicked271

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
Philippines
I tried it on my old iPod touch just now (not sure which generation but iMazing is showing
2012) and it works. Not sure why my photos were not showing but its was ok when I opened it after download to my Mac. See screenshots below

49137DE1-6377-44A4-9827-406EAB54C432.jpeg

303B29F7-00D3-4083-B41A-0C4541F4ACD8.jpeg

CCC0D738-FC55-4F6B-80B1-4C08AFB2692D.jpeg

hope it helps and I think they have trial version so you can do that first.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Thanks guys. I downloaded iMazing and bought the license to transfer the songs. I’m actually transferring my playlist from my old iPod click wheel might be useful backing up old iMessage

Reactions: wicked271
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.