Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ish Rashad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Hi - Apologies first: I'm finding it impossible to google an answer to this, probably because it is a slightly different issue/question...
When I receive an SMS from someone, I hear the tone that I have configured. (Settings>Sounds & Haptics>Text Tone) .... that's fine
If I respond, and they send me a further text, the sound of that is different - and I just cannot track where that is configured - or even why it is different. Is it that it's recognised as a conversation and handled differently?

I hope the question is clear.
It is not related to any particular contact's settings - I have not changed that, just says default message sound for all my contacts.

Thanks

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
Hi - Apologies first: I'm finding it impossible to google an answer to this, probably because it is a slightly different issue/question...
When I receive an SMS from someone, I hear the tone that I have configured. (Settings>Sounds & Haptics>Text Tone) .... that's fine
If I respond, and they send me a further text, the sound of that is different - and I just cannot track where that is configured - or even why it is different. Is it that it's recognised as a conversation and handled differently?

I hope the question is clear.
It is not related to any particular contact's settings - I have not changed that, just says default message sound for all my contacts.

Thanks

Is the different sound you’re hearing while the phone is unlocked and you’re on the screen in messages where the conversation is displayed? If so, that’s by design, meaning if you’re anywhere else except where the conversation is being displayed or your phone is locked, you’ll hear the text tone you have set, but if you’re on that conversation screen, you’ll hear the other sound you’re talking about when receiving a new text and there is no way to change it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.