Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Hi

I have just bought an 12 Pro Max outright and it makes sense to get insurance since it was over 1k I saved and spent to buy the phone.
I would opt for Apple Care Plus, but it doesn't cover theft or loss. Can anyone recommend me a good insurance provider where it is easily to claim, repairs are of high quality.
I know all the high street banks offer insurance like Natwest, Monzo, Nationwide but I have always heard horror stories about them as well such as broken phones being issued as a replacement etc...

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Hi

I have just bought an 12 Pro Max outright and it makes sense to get insurance since it was over 1k I saved and spent to buy the phone.
I would opt for Apple Care Plus, but it doesn't cover theft or loss. Can anyone recommend me a good insurance provider where it is easily to claim, repairs are of high quality.
I know all the high street banks offer insurance like Natwest, Monzo, Nationwide but I have always heard horror stories about them as well such as broken phones being issued as a replacement etc...

My iPhone is covered by my home contents insurance with Aviva. I’d be surprised if most people who own or rent a house don’t have this.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
I tend to get Apple care plus and register it on my home insurance.

Apple care covers me for accidental damage and premiums don’t go up if you claim. House insurance is for theft and loss but your premiums will shoot up if you claim.

I always prefer to go to Apple for repairs which is why I get AppleCare.

Reactions: Livvie

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Apple care covers me for accidental damage and premiums don’t go up if you claim. House insurance is for theft and loss but your premiums will shoot up if you claim.

If you move providers annually then you can remove any significant premiums with home insurance. It would be a rare occurrence to claim for an iPhone too. AC+ is around £8 a month last time I looked which is a lot more than any premium that might be added should you claim.

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
Mine is covered by my bank's (Nationwide) gadget insurance as part of my packaged account (which also gives me motoring breakdown insurance and travel insurance).

Reactions: Saladin12

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Protect your bubble is pretty decent. Claim processed quickly and phone arrived the next day after paying the excess. £100 excess is a bit much but think you get that anywhere

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017

I don't have home insurance. I would have picked Apple already if they offered cover for theft and loss. Sadly, they don't.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Mine is covered by my bank's (Nationwide) gadget insurance as part of my packaged account (which also gives me motoring breakdown insurance and travel insurance).
Nationwide Flex Plus?

Have you ever made a claim? If yes, how was the process?

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Protect your bubble is pretty decent. Claim processed quickly and phone arrived the next day after paying the excess. £100 excess is a bit much but think you get that anywhere
Was the replacement brand new?

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
I also use Nationwide for my phone insurance but am yet to make a claim. The Flex Plus account is amazing value for money - especially as my wife and I have a joint account. You'd think they'd double the fee, but nope - same fee as single accounts.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
I also use Nationwide for my phone insurance but am yet to make a claim. The Flex Plus account is amazing value for money - especially as my wife and I have a joint account. You'd think they'd double the fee, but nope - same fee as single accounts.
Whats the benefits.
the breakdown car cover? have you ever used it and how good was the service? I am actually learning how to drive so i guess that will be useful for me when I get my car, i dont need to take breakdown cover with AA?

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
Whats the benefits.
the breakdown car cover? have you ever used it and how good was the service? I am actually learning how to drive so i guess that will be useful for me when I get my car, i dont need to take breakdown cover with AA?
Unfortunately thanks to Covid haven't been in a situation where I've had to claim on the breakdown cover nor the travel insurance. The breakdown cover is actually provided by AA: https://www.nationwidemediacentre.co.uk/news/nationwide-select-the-aa-as-its-new-breakdown-provider

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don't have contents insurance. I am student who is living away for 3 years.

I had contents insurance both when I lived in a halls of residence and when I rented a room in a shared house. I was at university between 2001 and 2004 and it was advisory to insure your possessions back then. Do you not have any valuable items with you like a computer, electronics etc? Sounds risky to me.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
Always get EE, next day replacement in the Apple white box. Not sure who else offers this?

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
I had contents insurance both when I lived in a halls of residence and when I rented a room in a shared house. I was at university between 2001 and 2004 and it was advisory to insure your possessions back then. Do you not have any valuable items with you like a computer, electronics etc? Sounds risky to me.
no valuable items with me except phone and ipad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.