Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I have an original iPhone, original iPad, and Series 0 Apple Watch. I'll be upgrading my Apple Watch soon, and recently finished building my office/studio in my basement (so I have a location for it), which is prompting me to think about this. Has anyone created or purchased a display case for their original iOS devices?

Maybe its stupid, since these devices were used and not in perfect condition, but I like the idea of putting them on display instead of keeping them hidden in boxes. I was also wondering about long-term storage of these devices. Should I have the batteries removed, or will they not swell over time if they aren't undergoing charge/recharge cycles? I was also wondering if they will eventually leak? I last powered on my iPhone and iPad a couple years ago and they seemed fine. I figured the iPhone would've had problems by now if it was going to, but I didn't know if things could go south in the coming decades if I leave the batteries in?

I just feel like I have a little bit of a special connection to these devices. The iPhone was the first Apple device I ever owned (I used Macs in school labs for years going back to middle school, but never owned one until 2008). I didn't have money for an iPod so I started saving up when I first read on MacRumors around 2005 that Apple was working on a phone). I had this iPhone when I first met my wife. I used the iPad all the time while I was finishing out college. I got the Apple Watch not long after my first child was born and she would play with the face all the time. Being first generation devices, I wanted to keep them, and now I hope you guys have some advice on how to display them properly? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.