Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kht410

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2016
Anyone here uses an iPod Touch alongside their iPhone? If so, how are your use cases with them?

I know iPods are not really a thing anymore in 2020 and the tech itself is very outdated. But for me personally it has a nostalgic value to it. It was my first ever Apple device as a kid and I’ll forever cherish my time listening to music with it.

I’m just curious if there is any sense at all in having an iPod Touch in this day and age when you already have an iPhone.

Last edited:

Thornblom

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2011
I've thought about the idea to buy an iPod touch to use alongside my iPhone.
There is a number of reasons that I feel is actually legit. I spend quite some time in my car, both longer trips and daily stuff. The idea of having an iPod touch with 256gb of downloaded playlists stationary in the car is amusing, not only will I save my iPhone battery but I'll also get rid of the hassle with connecting/disconnecting my phone every time I'm going somewhere or get a phone call (yes I have an older car with a not so sophisticated multimedia system). Another thing is that I can't really have 256gb of downloaded music on my iPhone, there is simply not enough room. Streaming is nice when you're sitting at home or at work, but it isn't always suitable. I have a limited data plan from my work for example.

Reactions: Sword86 and kht410

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I don't sell or trade-in my old iPhones when I upgrade so I just use those as "iPod Touch".

A new iPod Touch usually costs more than what you'd get for trading in a 2-3 year old iPhone while lacking in features (e.g. TouchID) and still being behind in performance. The 7th gen Touch is downclocked so it only has the same performance as the Apple A9-based 1st gen SE despite sporting an Apple A10 chipset.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I use my iPod touch for music while jogging. I appreciate the svelte form factor, you almost don't know it's there unlike my 8 plus. And of course if it slipped out and got broken it's not quite so bad as wrecking your phone. I might well be using it for music even more in the future if iPhones go completely portless!

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Anyone here uses an iPod Touch alongside their iPhone? If so, how are your use cases with them?

I know iPods are not really a thing anymore in 2020 and the tech itself is very outdated. But for me personally it has a nostalgic value to it. It was my first ever Apple device as a kid and I’ll forever cherish my time listening to music with it.

I’m just curious if there is any sense at all in having an iPod Touch in this day and age when you already have an iPhone.

Works great IMO. I have a combo of iPad Mini 5 and iTouch 7 strewn around at home - there's at least one of either in every room - and they're used as remotes for my smart home stuff, and as ad hoc phones if someone rings since I leave my phones at my entrance hall.

kht410

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2016
Thanks for the responses guys. Here’s my current thought process.

I’m interested in getting the next iPhone pro max (or whatever they’re going to call it) and judging from last years iPhone 11 pro max and the rumours, it looks like it’s going to get even bigger and heavier, which I’m not complaining about at all. There are many advantages in having a big phone, but there are also some downsides such as lack of one hand use and how annoying it can be to fit in pockets.

So while I do appreciate the amount of tech we’re getting with the iPhone, I’m starting to see some value in the pure design of the iPod Touch alone. It may somewhat be useful as a “secondary phone” that can easily fit in your pocket and be used in one hand. (Providing that there is wifi connection around). And the iPhone can stay in my bag and I’d only take it out when I need it.

Last edited:

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I did that back in the day. I had an original 4GB iPhone, and got myself a 16GB iPod touch to go along with it because the iPhone had so little storage.

These days, though, I have a 256GB iPhone, so that’s not much of an issue. I do, however, have a 16GB 6th gen nano filled with music that I use for working out. Tiny touchscreen, built in clip, and it can be replaced on eBay for $40 if it breaks. I leave my phone at home.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I’m interested in getting the next iPhone pro max (or whatever they’re going to call it) and judging from last years iPhone 11 pro max and the rumours, it looks like it’s going to get even bigger and heavier, which I’m not complaining about at all. There are many advantages in having a big phone, but there are also some downsides such as lack of one hand use and how annoying it can be to fit in pockets.

So while I do appreciate the amount of tech we’re getting with the iPhone, I’m starting to see some value in the pure design of the iPod Touch alone. It may somewhat be useful as a “secondary phone” that can easily fit in your pocket and be used in one hand. (Providing that there is wifi connection around). And the iPhone can stay in my bag and I’d only take it out when I need it.
If you only have big phones and just the latest model, then yes, the iPod touch is much handier.

In our case, we have a couple of 4" iPhone SE and 4.7" iPhone 6s which still have the 3.5mm headphone jack. The SE1 is around the same size and performance as the 7th gen iPod touch so it serves as a good alternative for $0 additional cash outlay. :p

Reactions: kht410

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
SE is the best iPod Touch alternative now because it's cheaper. But, some like the 256GB option. If you want the extra storage, go with that one

Reactions: kht410

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016

This is exactly how I use it sometimes, even the non-Max Pro can make some of my lighter jackets hang lopsided.

Bear in mind however that while iPhone tethering is obviously a no-brainer in terms of use, it can be unreliable: Rather than tether the Touch to the iPhone, I connect it to a Mifi that I carry around as well.

It's one of the reasons - the main reasons being I'm not a stickler for phone screens given what I do on them, and the fact that the 11 Pro cameras are in absolutes still pretty rubbish (even compared to the best Androids, let alone actual cameras) so I've gone back to carrying the lightest 1-inch-sensor camera I could find - I'll be switching to the SE as my main phone and keeping just the Pro Max when the occasions I really need the features of a flagship iPhone.

kht410

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2016
Bear in mind however that while iPhone tethering is obviously a no-brainer in terms of use, it can be unreliable: Rather than tether the Touch to the iPhone, I connect it to a Mifi that I carry around as well.

Can you elaborate on how it’s unreliable?

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I use mine as a music player in the washroom for when I want to sing in the shower.

The Bluetooth is always on, so I just bring my Bluetooth speaker into the washroom and hit play. It’s quite awesome.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I've owned an iPod touch 6th generation and 7th generation alongside my iPhones. While I have music on both, the iPod touch was not signed into iCloud, had all notifications disabled, and was used solely for music enjoyment. While I do like having a separate device for music, I think the 7th generation will be my last iPod. In my dream setup I can get a 5.4" iPhone and iOS 14 will bring some home screen changes so I can just turn on DND and ship over to a second home screen dedicated solely to music (with apps like Broadcasts, Cs Music, Miximum, etc).

I think there is absolutely a use case, but it's niche.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015

I use the iPod Classic 2009 with the iPhone X. I use the iPhone for video and photos and the iPod Classic for music... The shuffle in the iPod is better than the shuffle in the iPhone. I might buy a camera and a flip phone to replace my iPhone.

Reactions: retta283
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.