Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Is this a faulty battery or faulty chipset? Even doing something as simple as browsing Facebook will make it heat up in just 30 seconds. The battery in Settings says it is operating under peak performance but who knows if that is accurate. The reason I am asking, it only costs $50 to change the battery at the Apple Store but I don't want to throw away $50 if it is actually a problem with the chipset or CPU. I don't want to replace the battery only to find it still heating up.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
You could get more accurate guesses from users here by at least providing the model information and what iOS version you’re on plus the standard questions:
1) Has if ever worked?
2) if so, what have you changed?

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
You could get more accurate guesses from users here by at least providing the model information and what iOS version you’re on plus the standard questions:
1) Has if ever worked?
2) if so, what have you changed?

Sorry this is a hand me down phone from my father in law (since I gifted him my iPhone X). I am basically using it for a month until the 12 comes out.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Symptoms of an overheating faulty battery. Get it changed out as soon as you can, and don't use the phone until you do. Batteries (especially Li-ion) have been known to explode when overheated.

Thanks for the response, I guess I'll have it replaced. When it is idle, it seems to work okay so I guess I'll keep it around just for iMessage.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
More info is certainly needed as there is a multitude of reasons your device would heat up. What's the environment, ambient temperature in the room, etc? What type of connection are you using, Wi-Fi or cellular? Is the signal strong? Have you tried tasks/apps that aren't network related?

Safety is certainly important. However, devices do have overheating protection. While living in the Phoenix, AZ metro area my phone would often get very warm and my brother and did indeed witness the overheating, cooldown requirement at times while just doing Web surfing, photos, etc as we sat on the patio or around the pool.

Am I saying it isn't a faulty battery? No. Although, I am reminding all in this thread there are many possibilities, including several more than I've mentioned via inquiry.

Lastly, I suggest reading this:

madog96182

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2021
Is this a faulty battery or faulty chipset? Even doing something as simple as browsing Facebook will make it heat up in just 30 seconds. The battery in Settings says it is operating under peak performance but who knows if that is accurate. The reason I am asking, it only costs $50 to change the battery at the Apple Store but I don't want to throw away $50 if it is actually a problem with the chipset or CPU. I don't want to replace the battery only to find it still heating up.
Hey! I have the same issues like you. Battery health is 80%. Have you solved the overheating problem?

MJigolf

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2021
Hi
I have the same issue with my 2020 SE, IOS 14.5. Using Safari makes the phone hot within a minute and the battery drains like crazy. The phone is one year old and battery health is 96%. Didn’t have this issue before updating to 14.5, less than one week ago. Don’t have the issue using other apps. Seems to be related to Safari on IOS 14.5.
My workaround has been to use Opera, which works without over heating the phone and sever battery drain doesn’t occurs.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Try another browser like Chrome or Google. See if you get the same result. This will at least give you an idea of whether it is your phone or Safari that is the problem.

Reactions: mjs916

MJigolf

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2021
I tried Microsoft Edge with the same result. Installera Opera and that browser works without overheating the phone despite reading the same home pages.
Is it possible to reinstall Safari on the phone?

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I tried Microsoft Edge with the same result. Installera Opera and that browser works without overheating the phone despite reading the same home pages.
Is it possible to reinstall Safari on the phone?
Nope you can’t reinstall safari but you could try to do a clean install of the OS

MJigolf

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2021
Thank you for the reply. Was afraied of that.
Never done that despite 4 iPhones in use in the family since iPhone 4s. Always used iCloud account transfering the content in old phones to new without any problem.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Ads can heat up your phone too. Try an ad blocker if you aren't already. That has worked for me in the past, and there are several other threads about this.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I had the same problem and was able to solve it. My iPhone kept getting hotter and was very slow. After that I just deleted all History and Website Data under Settings -> Safari -> Clear History and Website Data. After that, my iPhone worked as before.

I do this as a force of habit each time I “prepare” for an iOS update. Never had any issues with Safari since I began using iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.