Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
This is misinformation.. Wiping the phone does not turn off activation lock.. You need to turn off find my phone prior to resetting it... The activation lock is not on the phone so even a DFU restore will not remove it..
Nope. Wiping the phone does turn off the activation lock before the memory is erased (presumably a locked device can only be wiped if you have an Internet connection). This also works if you remote-wipe it, but then you have to explicitly remove the device from your account afterwards. See here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5661

Note that wiping requires entering the iCloud password, so it is not a loophole for thieves.

Last edited:

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
You can make calls and send texts. Oh and browsing and emails work too. Just can't buy apps that's it :D

I buy stuff on iTunes, then it's available for everyone in the house to share.

I dont want iCloud because no-one will give a straight answer on how it would work with one iTunes holding different accounts with music, apps, etc., as well as different devices 3 x iPhones, 2 x iPads, 2 x iPods all used by different family members not wanting to share info.

Basically the kids buy the apps or download the free apps, and I have free use of everything. I've got all my own music copied into iTunes,. So I have no need for an appleid. And they are not getting my creditcard details under ANY circumstance.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Plus this will help Apple sell millions of more new iPhones as vast numbers of used IOS7 devices become bricked on the secondary market by forgetful or unsuspecting legitimate sellers.

Very smart.

Love it how people like yourself would do anything to make Apple wrong when they do something right.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Nope. Wiping the phone does turn off the activation lock before the memory is erased (presumably a locked device can only be wiped if you have an Internet connection). This also works if you remote-wipe it, but then you have to explicitly remove the device from your account afterwards. See here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5661

Note that wiping requires entering the iCloud password, so it is not a loophole for thieves.

Wiping does not require a password. DFU -> Wipe. Done. No prompts. No password.

Also, wiping any iOS device can only happen with an Internet connection, as the IPSW installation *must* be verified with Apple. No connection, no wipe - regardless of Activation Lock.

Wiping the devices does not turn off Activation Lock. This is a server-side feature.

This is really easy to test:

1) Wipe device.
2) Device will not activate because of Activation Lock.

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012

Also, wiping any iOS device can only happen with an Internet connection, as the IPSW installation *must* be verified with Apple. No connection, no wipe - regardless of Activation Lock.

Wiping the devices does not turn off Activation Lock. This is a server-side feature.

This is really easy to test:

1) Wipe device.
2) Device will not activate because of Activation Lock.
So you are saying Apple is mistaken in article http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5661? That is a pretty serious error on Apple's part as this is their official recommendation on what to do when selling a phone.

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
UK
So you are saying Apple is mistaken in article http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5661? That is a pretty serious error on Apple's part as this is their official recommendation on what to do when selling a phone.

No, both methods are correct.

If you wipe from the device itself (Erase all Contents and Settings) and you have Find my iPhone activated, it will prompt for an Apple ID and password immediately before the wipe.

If you DFU wipe (not using iOS/the iPhone to initiate the wipe, but using a computer and iTunes) and you have Find my iPhone activated, it will prompt for an Apple ID and password in iTunes before completing the wipe/restore.

triplelucky

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Love it how people like yourself would do anything to make Apple wrong when they do something right.

Since you don't know me I'll help you out a little. I love my Apple products and the whole ecosystem. I have Macbook Pro's, iPads and iPhones.

IOS7's activation lock is going to wreak havoc on countless legitimate Apple products as they filter down through the normal used product chain of ownership.

No, I don't think that a system that has the potential to brick that many legitimate devices is "getting it right".

In a perfect world it might work, but people forget their passwords, and will forget to turn off find my iPhone in droves.

Bricking their devices without recourse isn't my ideas of "getting it right"

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Well, you should have said that you mean DFU restore then. For me, wiping means using the erase function on the phone, which does require a password and does turn of the activation lock. I bet most people don't even know how to do a DFU restore (and there is no reason to do one just because you are selling the phone).
This is a server-side feature.
Correct. This is why the erase function first turns it off before actually wiping the device.

navajarunner

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
This is misinformation.. Wiping the phone does not turn off activation lock.. You need to turn off find my phone prior to resetting it... The activation lock is not on the phone so even a DFU restore will not remove it..

Here is how it works.. When you turn on find my phone it sets an activation lock on apples servers.. Unless you disable find my phone for that device.. Apple will not activate the phone without your apple ID and password.

Restoring the device at ANY level does not turn off find my phone.. If you restore update or reset all content you will still need an apple id to activate the phone.. It is all serverside.

If you are selling your phone.. You first need to disable find my phone, it will ask for your password, then you reset all settings snd content.

If you forget to disable find my phone.. You can disable it remotly without giving the buyer your info.. Just open your find phone app on any device or icloud.com and remove the device in question from there

So basically if your phone has been activation locked.. it is on apples servers and you need the apple id that it was locked with to activate fhe phone... If you dont havd that apple ID or know anyone who does... You are SOL... But if this is the case your probably using a stollen device.

This.

I recently sold an iPhone 4 with iOS 7. I did a "reset the device" right before handing it over. Days after the sale I received a text from the buyer that they could not activate as a new device. They were prompted to enter my apple id and password. Unbeknownst to me, I had to deactivate "find my phone" on that device. So I log into my account, see the phone, deactivated it, removed from my account, and soon after the buyer was able to register the device as a new device. So there you go.

eww7633

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
This is ridiculous. It is NOT Apple's fault if you buy a device with activation lock and don't get it removed, if you forget your Apple ID password, etc. I deal with customer's on a daily basis who just can't grasp this. Stop being so annoying.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Since you don't know me I'll help you out a little. I love my Apple products and the whole ecosystem. I have Macbook Pro's, iPads and iPhones.

IOS7's activation lock is going to wreak havoc on countless legitimate Apple products as they filter down through the normal used product chain of ownership.

No, I don't think that a system that has the potential to brick that many legitimate devices is "getting it right".

In a perfect world it might work, but people forget their passwords, and will forget to turn off find my iPhone in droves.

Bricking their devices without recourse isn't my ideas of "getting it right"

True, I don't know you. Loving or not Apple products does not come into equation here. If you are legit owner of a device, there is many ways to resolve the problem. Your account password is your KEY! If you have a smartphone, be a half as smart to remember the password. If you forget it, Apple will help to recover it. But for **** sake stop attacking Apple for doing something to prevent theft and crime just because you (or someone) is not capable enough to keep a password.

And by the way, the reason why I did initially quote you is because you made it sound like some sort of conspiracy, Apple implementing security lock so many devices get bricked through forgotten passwords and Apple sale more devices. Which i think is a ridiculous!

jtfolden

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Springfield, Ohio
This.

I recently sold an iPhone 4 with iOS 7. I did a "reset the device" right before handing it over. Days after the sale I received a text from the buyer that they could not activate as a new device. They were prompted to enter my apple id and password. Unbeknownst to me, I had to deactivate "find my phone" on that device. So I log into my account, see the phone, deactivated it, removed from my account, and soon after the buyer was able to register the device as a new device. So there you go.

How do you deactivate the iPhone via Find My iPhone on the iCloud website? I only see "Play Sound", "Lost Mode", "Erase".

navajarunner

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
How do you deactivate the iPhone via Find My iPhone on the iCloud website? I only see "Play Sound", "Lost Mode", "Erase".

If I remember the steps correctly, you'll first have to choose "Erase" and then it will give you an option to remove from your account.

AbidCastaneda

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2013
hmmmm

Most likely. His posts here are the only ones he's ever made... And if he'd obtained the phone legitimately, he'd know where to go to get the info he needs. I'm betting that yahoo email address is brand new too, and set up just in hopes of finding an answer to his dilemma.

Hi, this IS my first post, and probably the only one if I don't find the solution here, I did not steal the iPad, I bought it at BestBuy as an open item, so I got it really cheap. But, even buying it from BestBuy won't save you from having this same problem, the iPad is linked to an AppleID account already and I can't take it off to put my AppleID on it. I guess that if I don't find the answer here I would just have to go back to BestBuy (4 hour drive) and get a refund or another one, whichever is cheaper. Actually, my father bought this as a Xmas gift for my 3 yr old kid, I just hope I can fix this to get it done on time for Xmas.

It's sad how some people ask the correct question, but you get "ow3nd", like you guys say, by the people who post alot here instead of getting helped.

I really hope there's someone who knows what he's doing here and posts a favorable answer for me instead of just judging and imagining how I got this iPad.

Thank you. :(

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi, this IS my first post, and probably the only one if I don't find the solution here, I did not steal the iPad, I bought it at BestBuy as an open item, so I got it really cheap. But, even buying it from BestBuy won't save you from having this same problem, the iPad is linked to an AppleID account already and I can't take it off to put my AppleID on it. I guess that if I don't find the answer here I would just have to go back to BestBuy (4 hour drive) and get a refund or another one, whichever is cheaper. Actually, my father bought this as a Xmas gift for my 3 yr old kid, I just hope I can fix this to get it done on time for Xmas.

It's sad how some people ask the correct question, but you get "ow3nd", like you guys say, by the people who post alot here instead of getting helped.

I really hope there's someone who knows what he's doing here and posts a favorable answer for me instead of just judging and imagining how I got this iPad.

Thank you. :(
If it's on iOS 7 and you are talking about activation lock, there's not much you can do beyond getting the person to whom the Apple ID belongs to to perhaps get you through it, or, as you mentioned, get it exchanged for another one that doesn't have this issue. You might potentially be able to take to to an Apple store and see what they might be able to do for you if you provide proof of ownership and all that, but that's not really something that's really done (if at all).

LincolnPawn

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
Hello,

This is my first post in this forum. I manage a pawn shop and this security feature is quickly becoming a serious issue and will likely result in me not buying used Apple products in the future.

Everything I buy I take a risk of it being stolen. That is why everything I do buy gets entered into a database that the Police have access to. Every serial number is checked, and every product gets held in storage for 30+ days before I resell it.

I recently purchased a used iPhone 4. I was unaware of this feature in the iOs7 update and reset the phone when it came up for sale like I have been doing forever.

And now the phone is locked at the activate screen. I have made several attempts at contacting the previous owner, and did talk to him once. I gave him the serial number of the phone, and the phone number to call to have Apple detach it from his iCloud account.

He has yet to do so.

I have spoken with Apple at length about this issue, and they do acknowledge that this is going to be a significant issue in the near future to second hand stores like myself. They are currently working on a way to circumvent this with licensed stores.

I did talk to a one Apple rep. and they said that "...if you have proof of purchase, you could render the phone useless without any physical damage to the phone and if it is still under warranty we will replace the phone, as long as you have proof of ownership..."

Take that for what it is worth, but I guess I could brick the phones using redsn0w and return them to Apple as warranty replacements.

Going forward though, I will be requesting peoples Apple ID's and Passwords. And if they are not comfortable with that I will not do the loans or purchase used Apple products.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hello,

This is my first post in this forum. I manage a pawn shop and this security feature is quickly becoming a serious issue and will likely result in me not buying used Apple products in the future.

Everything I buy I take a risk of it being stolen. That is why everything I do buy gets entered into a database that the Police have access to. Every serial number is checked, and every product gets held in storage for 30+ days before I resell it.

I recently purchased a used iPhone 4. I was unaware of this feature in the iOs7 update and reset the phone when it came up for sale like I have been doing forever.

And now the phone is locked at the activate screen. I have made several attempts at contacting the previous owner, and did talk to him once. I gave him the serial number of the phone, and the phone number to call to have Apple detach it from his iCloud account.

He has yet to do so.

I have spoken with Apple at length about this issue, and they do acknowledge that this is going to be a significant issue in the near future to second hand stores like myself. They are currently working on a way to circumvent this with licensed stores.

I did talk to a one Apple rep. and they said that "...if you have proof of purchase, you could render the phone useless without any physical damage to the phone and if it is still under warranty we will replace the phone, as long as you have proof of ownership..."

Take that for what it is worth, but I guess I could brick the phones using redsn0w and return them to Apple as warranty replacements.

Going forward though, I will be requesting peoples Apple ID's and Passwords. And if they are not comfortable with that I will not do the loans or purchase used Apple products.
Seems like the simpler solution would be to have people disable Find My iPhone and erase content and reset settings in front of you so that you can see activation lock isn't there when it restarts, or if it's already wiped then have them power it on and show that it's not asking for activation lock information.

jtfolden

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Springfield, Ohio
If the original owner does "Erase All Content and Settings" before turning it over to you, that automatically turns off Find My iPhone and Activation Lock. There's no need to ask for ID and password.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
If the original owner does "Erase All Content and Settings" before turning it over to you, that automatically turns off Find My iPhone and Activation Lock. There's no need to ask for ID and password.

Not true, they need to turn off find my iPhone before doing that or else it will still be locked to their iCloud.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not true, they need to turn off find my iPhone before doing that or else it will still be locked to their iCloud.
I could be recalling it incorrectly, but I believe if Find My iPhone is turned on when you try to reset all settings and erase all content it will prompt you to turn it off first on its own.

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
iPhone is currently linked to an Apple ID

I could be recalling it incorrectly, but I believe if Find My iPhone is turned on when you try to reset all settings and erase all content it will prompt you to turn it off first on its own.

You are correct, it does prompt you to turn off Find My iPhone when performing "Erase All Content and Settings."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.