Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
When I check my Gmail on iPhone using the built in application, the messages that I check don't go into my computer's inbox. I'd like this to happen, since I usually won't want to reply to long emails using my iPhone, but the option to do so is great, and reading them on iPhone works great too.

Actually, if it would be possible to get massages that were read first on the computer to not be sent to the iPhone, but messages read first on the iPhone to be sent to the computer as well, that'd be great. Any ideas?

joelk

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
When I check my Gmail on iPhone using the built in application, the messages that I check don't go into my computer's inbox. I'd like this to happen, since I usually won't want to reply to long emails using my iPhone, but the option to do so is great, and reading them on iPhone works great too.

Actually, if it would be possible to get massages that were read first on the computer to not be sent to the iPhone, but messages read first on the iPhone to be sent to the computer as well, that'd be great. Any ideas?

there are gmail settings on the gmail website that might help you. specifically there is an option to keep messages in your gmail account when accessed with pop

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Correct. Something along the lines of "keep copy on server until deleted" etc.. Unfortunately, if you read the messages on you iPhone they will also come into the computer as new. So in effect, you will always get two "new" copies. However, if you delete the e-mail it will not even show up on the computer.

IMAP is the ideal setup, like .Mac uses - where any change on the iPhone affects the computer mail - like reading, moving to another folder, etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.