Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aria505

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Now that the iPhone is out, we can finally truly know the capabilities of the browser and how it interacts with the multi-touch.

So please, those of you who were able to purchase an iPhone, please share the knowledge.

Here are a few questions to start it off:
1. Have you noticed any CSS styling problems that don't match up with Safari 3?

2. When interacting with drag-n-drop items on the web, does it work or does the browser think you are wanting to just scroll around?

3. How smoothly does javascript animations run on the phone. Is it able to render such transitions as smoothly as the native UI?

4. Does the browser scale 100% width web apps to the 320px and 480px widths when turning from portrait to landscape mode like we figured it would?

voidptr

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2007
2. When interacting with drag-n-drop items on the web, does it work or does the browser think you are wanting to just scroll around?

The latter. It only seems to interpret drags as scrolls on the couple drag & drop pages I've tried.

aria505

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
The latter. It only seems to interpret drags as scrolls on the couple drag & drop pages I've tried.

Thanks.

What happens when you click in a text field on a website? Does the keyboard slide up and you just start typing in the information into the actual text field, or does a fake input field appear?

macftw

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
What happens when you click in a text field on a website? Does the keyboard slide up and you just start typing in the information into the actual text field, or does a fake input field appear?

It switches to a special mode with keyboard entry vis-a-vis a sort-of enumerated list of text entry fields. You click "next" to step through the fields and "done" when you're finished.

But it has a hard time recognizing some fields as actually being text entry fields.

macftw

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
4. Does the browser scale 100% width web apps to the 320px and 480px widths when turning from portrait to landscape mode like we figured it would?

I'm not familiar with the earlier conversations. But scales such that the width is constant, and adjusts the height (it aligns on the top and extends or retracts downwards, so to speak).

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
1. Have you noticed any CSS styling problems that don't match up with Safari 3?

nope,

Drag and drop doesn't work,
however when you want to scroll within a text box, scroll with 2 fingers!

3. How smoothly does javascript animations run on the phone. Is it able to render such transitions as smoothly as the native UI?

meh... it is ok, not as smooth as a computer but good.

yes, if i understand your question correctly

aria505

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
I'm not familiar with the earlier conversations. But scales such that the width is constant, and adjusts the height (it aligns on the top and extends or retracts downwards, so to speak).

Thanks.

That's a bummer. It sounds like it kinda destroys the user experience created by the web designer a little.

I totally understand why they do that though and it sounds like a nice feature.

aria505

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005

Hmmm. So even in portrait mode, it loads the page at 480px width?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.