Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Following the latest update (16A5366A) my phone isn't silent anymore when I turn the volume down.

The notifications aren't silent anymore, I hear clicks on the keyboard, I hear clicks when turning the phone off.

Turning down the volume doesn't help, turning down the ringer does't help.

Anyone else experiencing this behaviour?!

No issues on my iPads.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Following the latest update (16A5366A) my phone isn't silent anymore when I turn the volume down.

The notifications aren't silent anymore, I hear clicks on the keyboard, I hear clicks when turning the phone off.

Turning down the volume doesn't help, turning down the ringer does't help.

Anyone else experiencing this behaviour?!

No issues on my iPads.
Is your mute switch on or off (it’s on the side of the phone)

Vegaspilot

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
With the mute switch off (no orange) if I turn down the volume to Mute I still get keyboard clicks. I have Control ringers with buttons selected off. If i lower ringer volume all the way, the clicks get faint but i can still here them. They only go silent with the mute switch on and orange showing. Dunno if that’s the new way or a glitch.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
With the mute switch off (no orange) if I turn down the volume to Mute I still get keyboard clicks. I have Control ringers with buttons selected off. If i lower ringer volume all the way, the clicks get faint but i can still here them. They only go silent with the mute switch on and orange showing. Dunno if that’s the new way or a glitch.
Did you go into settings, sounds and disable keyboard clicks?

Vegaspilot

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
No. I like the clicks. I was just saying that turning the volume down doesn’t silence them on mine either...like the OP stated. Only the mute switch does.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
OP, if you flick mute off and on do you get the overlay in the middle saying Ringer Silent? Wondering if perhaps your mute switch is broken mechanically.

Finally, have you tried restarting?

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
OP, if you flick mute off and on do you get the overlay in the middle saying Ringer Silent? Wondering if perhaps your mute switch is broken mechanically.

Finally, have you tried restarting?

If phone notifies user that phone switched to silent mode, I don’t think the mute switch would be defective but if there’s no notification of such, that is certainly a possibility. I was also thinking it could be a possible bug if the switch is operational.

Last edited:

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
If phone notifies user that phone switched to silent mode, I don’t think the mute switch would be defective but if there’s notification of such, that is certainly a possibility. I was also thinking it could be a possible bug if the switch is operational.
Are you missing a negative in that?

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
It looks like the switch is broken.

I got silent by using assistive touch and muting it there.

Reactions: GreyOS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.