Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

humpbacktwale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
I don't use my apple ID much, so I only sign into it when I need to update apps. I am signed out of it at all other times. However, every time I reboot my phone, as soon as it connects to wifi, it asks me to sign into my account, with the account email address displayed, which I find weird given I have signed out of it and it shouldn't remember. This has happened on and off over the last year.

I though it had stopped a few months ago, which was the same day I switched ISP's, so I though maybe it was due to that device having logged on from that IP in the past. However, it has randomly started doing it again today. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how did you address it?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Guessing here: need to turn off all the neat features of iOS, as many of them require Apple ID to work. Eg. Apple Pay, Find My, iCloud Keychain.

For example, Apple Pay:

To use Apple Pay, you need:

But otherwise, ditto why?

• Love
Reactions: papbot and max2

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I have an old “thrasher” iPhone 7 that I only have a few remote control and GPS apps on. No email, no iMessage, no Apple ID. No nothing. This phone doesn’t even have a passcode set up. If someone finds it - it’s theirs — but there’s zero info on it of any value.
Since I don’t dare link this phone to my Apple ID, I too get pestered every time it boots up to sign up or connect with my Apple ID.

Since Apple Machine Learning and AI can’t learn that after tapping NO 100 times means no, you’ll be pestered to sign into your Apple ID forever.

humpbacktwale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Literally … why? Almost everything requires an applied, including verification that it’s you, trying to update apps and thus it asks for it
Literally the only thing that requires it is updating apps. Every other app functions perfectly fine without it.

humpbacktwale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Guessing here: need to turn off all the neat features of iOS, as many of them require Apple ID to work. Eg. Apple Pay, Find My, iCloud Keychain.

For example, Apple Pay:

But otherwise, ditto why?
Don't use any of those features, so I don't think theres any way to turn them off beyond what I do. Because you don't need to be logged in to do anything on any apps that I use.

humpbacktwale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
I have an old “thrasher” iPhone 7 that I only have a few remote control and GPS apps on. No email, no iMessage, no Apple ID. No nothing. This phone doesn’t even have a passcode set up. If someone finds it - it’s theirs — but there’s zero info on it of any value.
Since I don’t dare link this phone to my Apple ID, I too get pestered every time it boots up to sign up or connect with my Apple ID.

Since Apple Machine Learning and AI can’t learn that after tapping NO 100 times means no, you’ll be pestered to sign into your Apple ID forever.
I wonder why it randomly stops for periods of time, then starts again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.