Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
I started to charge my iPhone with a 5w charger and noticed the increased battery life.

Am I delusional or can someone confirm that?

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I started to charge my iPhone with a 5w charger and noticed the increased battery life.

Am I delusional or can someone confirm that?
I am also delusional but cannot confirm that.

The way the battery works is usually only one way. However, all kinds of tiny trickle charging methods does bring back car batteries that were supposedly dead.

So you may not be delusional but probably can’t confirm it either way - if that makes any sense….

Reactions: shadyman

shadyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
I am also delusional but cannot confirm that.

The way the battery works is usually only one way. However, all kinds of tiny trickle charging methods does bring back car batteries that were supposedly dead.

So you may not be delusional but probably can’t confirm it either way - if that makes any sense….
Yes, makes a lot of sense!

But I‘m concerned I might be just delusional lol.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I guess the much longer charging cycle got u in some state of deep relaxed unconscious mind.

Now u just think that your phone lasts longer but actually time is moving slower

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Flamingdeathbolts

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2023
Biggest thing with lithium ion batteries is charge cycles. The iPhone 14 has 500 complete charge cycles. From google search:
“A normal battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles”

I use a house outlet that has also usb plug ins that out out 4.8amp. Your 5w charger is 1amp. Almost a year later my iPhone is at 99% battery life. Using the 5w charger won’t make much or if any difference really. It all depends how much you use phone that it needs to recharge.

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
Wise words from an Apple employee when I bought my 13 Mini, and asked about the best charging habit to preserve the battery. His simple answer was "charge it as a little as possible".

That’s about the best, most succinct, way to put it that Ive heard yet. I’m going to steal that one, thanks for sharing.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
That’s about the best, most succinct, way to put it that Ive heard yet. I’m going to steal that one, thanks for sharing.
Lol, steal away. It was actually said in German "lade so wenig wie möglich", but the message remains.

I don't do bursts of in-between charging and still use the 5W from my OG SE when falling below 20%. Works for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.