Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I've recently been organizing my workshop and wanted to repurpose an old display to watch video from my iPhone. It was a really nice display when it came out (2008 IPS 27" 1920x1200 $799) and even though it has color shifted a bit over the years to the point of not being able to be calibrated and therefore usable for creative work, it still would be fine for a TV in a dusty workshop. So I built a VESA mount out of scrap wood, lol. Then I ran into connectivity issues.

I have the Apple Lightning to HDMI adapter and I have an HDMI to DVI cable. I planned on using my AirPods for audio. I connected the HDMI to DVI but all I get is a notice on the display saying nothing is connected. Can't even get the display menu to come up. I used this display with an Xbox 360 and Xbox One for years using this HDMI to DVI cable at 1080p. I also had it connected to my old MBP using HDMI to DVI for a few years. Next I tried switching to the other DVI port but no dice. It also has a VGA port so I could try the VGA adapter, but the thing is that I wasn't wanting to spend much on this project. When I upgrade my living room TV to 4K in the next year, I figure I'll just hook this thing up to my 4th gen Apple TV and use AirPlay, but I should probably test that some time.

Anyone have any experience working with this and know of a fix? Is it some kind of HDCP issue? I was mainly wanting to just put YouTube videos on, which I don't think have copy protection. But I couldn't even get it to mirror the home screen. Or is it an issue with the HDMI adapter not able to output the image properly at 1920x1200? Again, I wasn't really wanting to spend much on this as I'm just repurposing old junk and thought it would be kinda nice to put some videos on in the background while working. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.