Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Hi all,
how is it possible that my iPhone (and my Magic Mouse too) loads 3 times as fast from the USB-A ports on my iMac
than from a genuine Apple 230Volt loader using the same USB to Thunderbolt cable???
;JOOP!

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
That depends on the power output given by the wall adapter.
Really? Both are feeding from the same wall socket, which delivers enough power for my heavy vacuum cleaner.
My own assumption was, that the 230V-to-USB charger has a lower charge current, not to overheat anything.
Then again, with all those things in mind that you can connect to the Mac directly ...
... that connection should never overheat.
;JOOP!

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
In this case I mean the adapter where the USB cable connects. For instance, if you have a 5W power brick, you will only get 5W of power. With 5W it takes a long time to charge to full battery. However, faster charging is achieved with either a 7.5W or 20W adapter.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
In this case I mean the adapter where the USB cable connects. For instance, if you have a 5W power brick, you will only get 5W of power. With 5W it takes a long time to charge to full battery. However, faster charging is achieved with either a 7.5W or 20W adapter.
It seems that my charger is 20W; no idea how much an iMac will charge.
Anyway, I almost got my answer.
Thanks
;JOOP!

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Hi all,
how is it possible that my iPhone (and my Magic Mouse too) loads 3 times as fast from the USB-A ports on my iMac
than from a genuine Apple 230Volt loader using the same USB to Thunderbolt cable???
;JOOP!

if you open the system profiler on your iMac after connecting your phone, you should see something similar to this:

User uploaded file

In the example above, the USB port offers the default 500 mA, as shown in the Current Available (mA) entry. The Current Required (mA) entry indicates the current the device needs to operate. Extra Operating Current (mA) indicates that this USB port is providing an additional 1600 mA for use with the device.

The ”genuine” power supply, you mention, will probably supply less current.

nota bene: what’s it with the German luxury fashion house specializing in contemporary clothing and cosmetics??

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
if you open the system profiler on your iMac after connecting your phone, you should see something similar to this:

User uploaded file

In the example above, the USB port offers the default 500 mA, as shown in the Current Available (mA) entry. The Current Required (mA) entry indicates the current the device needs to operate. Extra Operating Current (mA) indicates that this USB port is providing an additional 1600 mA for use with the device.

The ”genuine” power supply, you mention, will probably supply less current.

nota bene: what’s it with the German luxury fashion house specializing in contemporary clothing and cosmetics??
Thanks a lot; my iMac 27' shows almost the same figures. Now everything is clear.
;JOOP!
P.S.: I do hope your N.B. was not directed to me, or you missed me ±400 Km Eastward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.