Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
iPhone SE. Brand new. No scratch on the logo out of the box. First time cleaning to wipe off fingerprints and it's got scratched all over. Hair-thin scratches. Why don't they just use scratch-resistant materials? I mean, the price they sell they products they shouldn't be that fragile. It infuriates me.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
You should use a damp microfiber towel so it doesn't scratch. Also be sure there is no abrasive material like dirt on your iPhone before wiping.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
iPhone SE. Brand new. No scratch on the logo out of the box. First time cleaning to wipe off fingerprints and it's got scratched all over. Hair-thin scratches. Why don't they just use scratch-resistant materials? I mean, the price they sell they products they shouldn't be that fragile. It infuriates me.

What were you using to clean the Apple logo with? Perhaps the cloth that you were using might have been the result of you scratching the logo. I have cleaned mine hundreds of times and I don't have any scratches on my Apple logo.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
A tiny spec of dirt on your finger, pocket or cloth your using to clean the phone can scratch that highly polished emblem. If your worried about it, there are many clear skins that can be applied to the back of the phone to stop this from happening

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
I used a microfiber cloth just like the ones used to clean lenses (glasses, cameras) and it was damp. I think even the tiniest microscopic dust particles will scratch including the microfiber particles. Relentless Power look under a flashlight or strong light source.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I used a microfiber cloth just like the ones used to clean lenses (glasses, cameras) and it was damp. I think even the tiniest microscopic dust particles will scratch including the microfiber particles. Relentless Power look under a flashlight or strong light source.

Just to entertain your suggestion about checking for the scratches, I did. And I have no scratches whatsoever.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Might as well put you iPhone is a glass case and call the Smithsonian.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
OP - it's a tough life when you have to use strong lights, and probably just the right angle to see minor defects, which were likely there from new out-of-the-box.
I found a scratch on the glass of my iPhone 5 that way once. Wasn't really practical to bend other people like a contortionist mimicking a preztel just to show them though. Plus they didn't really appreciate that too much. :)

Reactions: DeltaMac

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Do you bubble-wrap your car in 10 layers each time before using it on the road?

The iPhone is a tool. It is not meant to be fawned over with white glove usage as if it were a precious Monet.

If the scratches can only be seen under the right interrogation lighting, Apple is not suspect; you are.

Start looking at the iPhone for what it is, instead of what you have been falsely projecting it to be, and you won't have to worry about your life constantly focusing on such trivial things.

Reactions: eyoungren

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
I just can't stand scratches, call it OCD if you like. I find that they ruin the product's aesthetics. Most people won't notice them but I know they're there and I can see them. Another example, my Magic Mouse top is covered in micro scratches and is only 1-week old. I've only touched it with my hands and I wash them every single time before I use the mouse (I also wipe the desk). How is that possible? It drives me crazy.

What are "microfiber particles", please? You do realize that for substance (A) to scratch substance (B), (A) must be harder than (B)?

Whatever material the microfiber is made of. I'm no physicist.

Anyway, I'll have to get over it.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I just can't stand scratches, call it OCD if you like. I find that they ruin the product's aesthetics. Most people won't notice them but I know they're there and I can see them. Another example, my Magic Mouse top is covered in micro scratches and is only 1-week old. I've only touched it with my hands and I wash them every single time before I use the mouse (I also wipe the desk). How is that possible? It drives me crazy.

In all seriousness, get help so you can live a happy life

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Ugh, impending nuclear war, government shutdown, mass deportations, and now a scratched logo on a telephone? Man, 2018 is really gonna suck.

Reactions: Givmeabrek

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States

It sounds like you either don’t know the difference between a smudge and a scratch or you keep putting sand-like material in between your hand and the device. Gorilla glass won’t get scratched by most knives/coins, but a spec of dust can easily scratch it. If you live near the ocean it’s even more likely you have sand in your pockets.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I just can't stand scratches, call it OCD if you like. I find that they ruin the product's aesthetics. Most people won't notice them but I know they're there and I can see them. Another example, my Magic Mouse top is covered in micro scratches and is only 1-week old. I've only touched it with my hands and I wash them every single time before I use the mouse (I also wipe the desk). How is that possible.

I know you were ridiculed heavily in this thread by others, but electronics that see daily usage will scratch and show wear. Some Products just scratch easily over others. The reality is you just have to look past the little imperfections and appreciate the Product for what it is. There are far more worse things that can Happen besides an Apple logo scratched.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
It's not smudges. I wipe it with the cloth and they won't disappear. It's definitely very tiny possibly less than 1mm wide scratches. Thiner than hairs. If you have a Magic Mouse grab it and see it for yourself.

I live about 10 miles from the ocean and 2 miles from a body of water. The climate is dry so often there's dust coming through the window but I wipe my desk every day.

Look, I wouldn't mind if these weren't Apple products. Apple is expensive. I got the iPhone 8 last month and the same happened but on the glass. I almost never lay my iPhones directly on any surface I always put a sheet of paper below them. I guess the lint from clothes and textiles is enough to scratch them.

Last edited:

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Oh, I don't particularly mind wiping my phone across my belly a few times when it gets to the point I can't see the screen
Is this a shirted, or bare, belly?

My pouchy gut would be terrible to clean the screen :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.