Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryand123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
So of course you can adjust the audio quality in Voice Memo to lossless instead of compressed. Think they've had this for a few years. But does the lossless setting ONLY apply to voice memos? What if you record a video?

Funny thing......audio is always the after thought it seems. Maybe because Apple and everyone else always talks so much about the camera but much less about the mic and the audio. I was watching one of those Youtube concert vids someone took with their phone. The woman said she specifically bought the 12 Pro Max for its ability to record in 4K HDR. She might have even been using ProRes. It looked fantastic but sounded........not so hot. But she had no idea that there was a lossless recording setting until I told her. And we're talking about a concert where the audio quality really matters more.

But even with that setting, it just seems to me that cameras have improved far more than the mics. Is that because the industry has put so much more R&D into cameras because that's more of a selling point to most people? I mean it seems like just about the whole rasion d'etre of the Pro line is the advanced cameras.

Or are smartphone cameras hampered more by the basic physics of them needing to be so small?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.