Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philpo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Hey guys,

I was playing around with my iPhone earlier and was playing an mp3 through the iPhones loudspeaker, now on my iphone i noticed the left speaker was louder than the right?! (as you look at it from the bottom) Do i have a faulty model or is this merley a design 'feature'? :confused:

Also, since buying i have left the plastic on the front that came with the iphone, obviously this covers the top speaker but i was wondering if this would be the cause of my call volume being stupidly quiet? I have the call volume right up yet i can barely hear people when they call. I don't want to take off the plastic until i get an invisibleshield so if someone could let me know that's what it is that would be great!

Cheers guys!

Oh and I'm running 1.1.1

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
There is only one speaker. Your other "speaker" is the microphone. ;)

Philpo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
So the speaker is the left one and the microphone is the right one? Weird, how about the call volume?

Philpo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Hmmmmm

I've just noticed that my clicker on the headphones doesn't always resume play as well. After a period of time, if i've paused a track, the track won't play when i click again. I have a 1.1.1 iPhone, i though this got fixed? Anyone else have this issue?

doctorfresh

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2007
Hey guys,

I was playing around with my iPhone earlier and was playing an mp3 through the iPhones loudspeaker, now on my iphone i noticed the left speaker was louder than the right?! (as you look at it from the bottom) Do i have a faulty model or is this merley a design 'feature'? :confused:

Also, since buying i have left the plastic on the front that came with the iphone, obviously this covers the top speaker but i was wondering if this would be the cause of my call volume being stupidly quiet? I have the call volume right up yet i can barely hear people when they call. I don't want to take off the plastic until i get an invisibleshield so if someone could let me know that's what it is that would be great!

Cheers guys!

Oh and I'm running 1.1.1

Hmm - I had a similar and embarrassing problem. Bought an iPhone on Tuesday. Noticed that the call volume was so quiet that I could barely hear the caller. Damn - faulty iPhone thought I. So, I took it back to the CarPhoneWarehouse ("CPW") shop today - showed the chap in the store the problem and he (politely and nicely) agreed that the iPhone seemed to be defective and gave me a replacement. I found a WiFi spot and set up the new iPhone and set off home. Received a call and - guess what - the caller volume is the same - far too low. But I have found the solution; I had left the plastic that covers the screen on (until I got another screen protector) which also covered (and muted) the speakers. Removed it and all is fine.

Sadly, I missed this (the speakers being relatively unobvious) but so did the nice chap at CPW. Secondly, the service at CPW was excellent.

Thirdly, I noticed an online survey where 60-odd per cent of people were making the same complaint. I wonder how many of them thought the wrapping plastic made for a cheap interim screen protector too?

disease20

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2008
Cover Sticker

Indeed it has been stated that the sticker that covers the screen reduces volume level. It completely covers the speaker, causing a rejection of sound going outwards.
In other words the sticker makes the sound "bounce" back causing barely any sound to come out.

Take the sticker off and your problem will be solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.