Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
http://www.Macintouch.com has a rather sad post:

Ok Guys, I hate to blow their cover, but here is the scoop:
_ Apple wrote an article about me a couple of years ago, and it links to quicktime movies on one of my websites. Once in a while, I check on that old website's stats to see who has been linking to my site.
_ Well - yesterday, a number of links showed as coming from "iPhone.org." Hmmmm... I clicked on it and it was the Apple home page!! "iphone.com" does not work, it's .org that works. Why would they want to blow their cover this way? Seems some DNS screw-up has them showing up as "iphone" instead of "apple." That just changed this month. [...]

As most Mac people know, iphone.org has pointed to Apple for years...

not much new here...

arn

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
ROFL! Maybe they've been living in an alternate universe for the past years :rolleyes: :p
Perhaps they should make the DNS record for oldnews.com point to macintouch.com ;) :D :p

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I don't get it - so what is he trying to say - that iPhone is active and something is going to happen soon? With iSync connecting with bluetooth enabled phones, it might make sense that Apple would come out with something, but like you said, this is somewhat old news.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I think dukestreet got it. iPhone.org may be old news, but I think what these guys are getting at is that it's active, not just sitting dormant and reserved for Apple.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Hemingray
I think dukestreet got it. iPhone.org may be old news, but I think what these guys are getting at is that it's active, not just sitting dormant and reserved for Apple.

iPhone.org has pointed to Apple the entire time.

as has mammals.org, ikids.com and others...

arn

Macwizzard

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2001
Holladay, UT
What is a Jaguar?

A jaguar, being a Mammal, could have been very applicable to the Domain name Mammals.org. Apple did release a Mammal , did they not?

I doubt the existance or possible future existance of an iPhone, but you never know. It could happen.

Classic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
What about this.....

People have been wondering what will happen to the naming convention once Apple has released OS 10.9... Will it become OS 11? OS XI?

My guess is that Apple will keep OS X for a long time, and will actually get rid of the .x numbers. 10.2 is Jaguar. I believe 10.3 has been codenamed Panther. Both of which are mammals. So, I'm guessing, and this is total speculation, that Apple will coninue to market it's upgrades by their codenames and eventually not even use the .3, .4, .5, etc...

This will solve the what happens after 10 upgrades. Because there are obviously many mammals that can be used as codenames. We could likely have thirty OS X upgrades.

Still don't know what use mammals.org is other than maybe an operating system history museum...

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by arn

iPhone.org has pointed to Apple the entire time.

as has mammals.org, ikids.com and others...

arn

What I meant was, iPhone being its own site as opposed to merely a forward. From the sounds of it, macintouch.com received hits from the iphone.org domain. How would that be possible if it were merely a forwarded address? I think all they're suggesting is there was a temporary DNS mix-up, I don't think they're reporting on the already known existance of iPhone.org.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Hemingray

What I meant was, iPhone being its own site as opposed to merely a forward. From the sounds of it, macintouch.com received hits from the iphone.org domain. How would that be possible if it were merely a forwarded address? I think all they're suggesting is there was a temporary DNS mix-up, I don't think they're reporting on the already known existance of iPhone.org.

Go to http://www.iphone.org

click through the Apple site... the domain stays iphone.org. Any links from Apple to outside sites would have "iphone" as a referrer.

It's been like this for a while...

arn

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Kind of late there. It seems like they think that using .org instead of .com qualifies as a massive cover-up by Apple. At least they didn't post "spy photos" of the iPhone....

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by arn

Go to http://www.iphone.org

click through the Apple site... the domain stays iphone.org. Any links from Apple to outside sites would have "iphone" as a referrer.

It's been like this for a while...

arn

Ahhhhh, I seeeeee! Very strange. Am I just totally nuts, or did iphone.org originally just redirect to apple.com? That's what I had running through my head this whole time. Never thought to actually visit iphone.org again... :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.