Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
Tired of the same old excuse about labor costs. A 5000 dollar computer only a small fraction is labor costs. It’s all about maximum profits at the long term expense of the Country and future generations.

Even more salt to the wound is when you order equipment costing over 500K and it’s made in China. Same stuff that used to be made here and actually cost less in the past.

We used to make everything in the US and people were able to afford things in fact someone a few years out of high school would be able to purchase a home and retire in the future.
It really has nothing to do with labor costs, it’s all about training (education) and availability - Apple can hire 6,000 engineers over the course of 1 week for seasonal employment overseas. That’s impossible here.

supercoolmanchu

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Hollywood
Didn't realize that "dumping money in partisan political groups" was mutually exclusive to offering "education content". I guess along the lines of add emoji or fix software.
One is a direct investment into specific needed technical talent area, the other is a write off into politically connected law firms and tax leeches.

Emoji or fix software? What are you talking about? The design team is certainly dropping the ball on the software iconography and overall fugly, bland UI, so I guess maybe thats a thing? Since you brought it up...

Jobs famously once said OS X made you want to lick it. Tim Cook OS UIs make you want to put them in the laundry then stuff back in his grandmother’s linen cabinet.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
One is a direct investment into specific needed technical talent area, the other is a write off into politically connected law firms and tax leeches.
And the two can happen simultaneously, even if you are against apples political dealings.
Emoji or fix software? What are you talking about?
Either/or as you described in the op.
The design team is certainly dropping the ball on the software iconography and overall fugly, bland UI, so I guess maybe thats a thing? Since you brought it up...
I don’t know if I agree. Different strokes for different folks on the UI.
Jobs famously once said OS X made you want to lick it. Tim Cook OS UIs make you want to put them in the laundry then stuff back in his grandmother’s linen cabinet.
Maybe the above should be written as thusly:

“Jobs famously once said OS X made you want to lick it. Tim Cook OS UIs make me want to put them in the laundry then stuff back in my grandmother’s linen cabinet.”

• Love
Reactions: SFjohn and CarlJ

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
It really has nothing to do with labor costs, it’s all about training (education) and availability - Apple can hire 6,000 engineers over the course of 1 week for seasonal employment overseas. That’s impossible here.
Here is the thing we had all this in the US. It was by choice from stateless CEOs and paid off politicians to gut our entire industry and tooling etc to the Chinese. Critical parts are made in China etc not just cheap items.

China working with our corrupt politicians and stateless Corporations were able to gut the US without firing one bullet.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
China working with our corrupt politicians and stateless Corporations were able to gut the US without firing one bullet.

You forgot the millions of consumers who gladly bought an item that was a dollar less than an American made one. Case in point - how many people today look for Klein, SK Pro, or Snap-On hand tools when they are buying a screwdriver? How easy are they to find as an indicator of consumer demand?

Reactions: CarlJ

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
Here is the thing we had all this in the US. It was by choice from stateless CEOs and paid off politicians to gut our entire industry and tooling etc to the Chinese. Critical parts are made in China etc not just cheap items.

I’m confused as why your point is made in reply to mine. We never had a point in US history where you could hire 6,000 people with degrees in engineering in 1 week for seasonal work, house them, feed them, giving medical care for them all, and do that again year after year after year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.