Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blake2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Hey all,

I'm using an iPhone 8, iOS 14.6.
I've been using the memo app for a long time now but since a few days ago, when I try to select some text, it selects only a part of a group of characters.

For example, I'm trying to copy a block of text that says 'ABCD12DEFG' and when I double tap that block, depending on where I tap I can only select ABCD, 12 or DEFG. I can drag it to select the whole thing but is there a way to change how I select text in settings or options?

Thank you!

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Is the memo app actually the Notes app? I copied your string and pasted it into Notes to test the double tap selection and it works fine. Have you tested this in another iOS text app like Pages?

blake2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Is the memo app actually the Notes app? I copied your string and pasted it into Notes to test the double tap selection and it works fine. Have you tested this in another iOS text app like Pages?

Yes, I think it may be Notes in the English version, it's the basic memo app in iPhone. I had another memo app from a third party and it was showing the same feature change so I thought something got updated. It could also be related to the language of the file(Japanese).

I wasn't using Pages for iPhone, but when I downloaded it and moved my notes there, it worked fine. To be clear my iPhone still tries to select parts of the word block when I tap the blocks but I can select that block in Pages by double tapping the end of the line.

>> ABCD1234DEFG >> double tap ABCD or 1234 > select ABCD or 1234
>> double tap near G >> select ABCD1234DEFG

I still can't select a block of words(that mixes alphabet and numbers) in Notes. Or the other memo app.
I think very few people would have this problem... as I sometimes do this to insert an account code for a mobile game I play. I think I'll use Pages from now on.

Thanks WildSky!

Reactions: 0128672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.