Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ginofresh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2017
so do you guy's believe that with all the rumors going around that the iPhone 13 mini is the last mini to come? i own a 12 mini and i do love the phone for the small size but i must admit the battery is terrible but even with the bad battery i really hope that they do keep the mini line going as i think it is fun for them to have different size's and etc and i do plan on buying a 13 mini but it would sucks if there is no mini 14 :(

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
iPhone SE is where smaller iPhone is, not iPhone mini. If mini was popular iPhone 12 mini would’ve sold well, which apparently is not. Thus, Apple is less likely want to continue building a phone to tailor a small market. Just admit it, small phone is a small market. Sales number tells all.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
From what the current rumours suggest the 13 might be the last mini for a while.

Reactions: lpc2

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I don’t think we’ve seen the last of the form-factor, and I think it will come back down the road at some point as a model similar to the SE. That is to say as a smaller, entry-level option.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It seems like it based on sales numbers
here we go.

Sales #’s is NOT the only metric Apple goes by.
AFP on the 12 mini is much higher than the iPhone SE 2020 or the 8 - but the 12 mini brought in a LOT more revenues and profit per unit than the SEE 2020 in Q1.

That’s why I’m seeing so mugh FUD & hate against the ’mini iphones’ that is not making sense.

Just remember Apple accomplished this during a pandemic AND did NOT advertise the 12 mini at all. Every mention, ever web or print ad dose NOT mention the mini unless you specifically select it for purchase. Even the Purple is mentioned as iPhone 12 … but they do show the mini after a few seconds of the rotational shift.

iPhone SE is where smaller iPhone is, not iPhone mini. If mini was popular iPhone 12 mini would’ve sold well, which apparently is not. Thus, Apple is less likely want to continue building a phone to tailor a small market. Just admit it, small phone is a small market. Sales number tells all.

Only cause the iPhone SE 2020 debuted 6 months prior.
Sure I get many love the Touch ID over Face ID … but if the 12 mini - gets stripped of the ultrawide camera, the OLED and gets Touch ID via the Sleep/Wake button it will become the replacement of the SE in 2022.

y?
- Larger battery than the SE 2020,
- Larger screen surface area / desktop than the SE 2020,
- smaller device overall.

So why should it NOT be the next SE ? Remember the SE 2020 is an iPhone 8 with better cpu and camera … that’s it.

Attachments

• 0AA27176-0AE1-4467-8F74-056AB4F39CFA.png
    0AA27176-0AE1-4467-8F74-056AB4F39CFA.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 132

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
here we go.

Sales #’s is NOT the only metric Apple goes by.
AFP on the 12 mini is much higher than the iPhone SE 2020 or the 8 - but the 12 mini brought in a LOT more revenues and profit per unit than the SEE 2020 in Q1.

That’s why I’m seeing so mugh FUD & hate against the ’mini iphones’ that is not making sense.

Just remember Apple accomplished this during a pandemic AND did NOT advertise the 12 mini at all. Every mention, ever web or print ad dose NOT mention the mini unless you specifically select it for purchase. Even the Purple is mentioned as iPhone 12 … but they do show the mini after a few seconds of the rotational shift.

Only cause the iPhone SE 2020 debuted 6 months prior.
Sure I get many love the Touch ID over Face ID … but if the 12 mini - gets stripped of the ultrawide camera, the OLED and gets Touch ID via the Sleep/Wake button it will become the replacement of the SE in 2022.

y?
- Larger battery than the SE 2020,
- Larger screen surface area / desktop than the SE 2020,
- smaller device overall.

So why should it NOT be the next SE ? Remember the SE 2020 is an iPhone 8 with better cpu and camera … that’s it.

Do we know how many apple has sold? Do we know what metrics they consider other than the revenue made with the device?

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Do we know how many apple has sold? Do we know what metrics they consider other than the revenue made with the device?

Interesting question. Considering the costs of tooling, R&D, and marketing (arguably very little marketing for the mini), you’d think Apple would give a product at least 2-3 years to ‘prove’ itself.

From butterfly keyboards, and touch bars on MBP’s were given at least 4 years to gain acceptance.
And HomePods remained despite limited success.

I assume they crunch the numbers and determine margins and if there’s a future.
They likely track market trends of where phone sizes are headed.

Or maybe it’s simply up to Tim to say yea or nay.
When he was alive, I could see Steve Jobs doing this if he truly believed in a product.

Reactions: snipr125

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Interesting question. Considering the costs of tooling, R&D, and marketing (arguably very little marketing for the mini), you’d think Apple would give a product at least 2-3 years to ‘prove’ itself.

From butterfly keyboards, and touch bars on MBP’s were given at least 4 years to gain acceptance.
And HomePods remained despite limited success.

I assume they crunch the numbers and determine margins and if there’s a future.
They likely track market trends of where phone sizes are headed.

Or maybe it’s simply up to Tim to say yea or nay.
When he was alive, I could see Steve Jobs doing this if he truly believed in a product.
Although the rumours say we will not get an iphone 14 mini (based on Ming Chi Kuo) , its not 100% set in stone that this will be the case. Maybe Apple will introduce their iphone Flip (like the Galaxy Z Flip) in 2022 which has also been rumoured by Ming, and want the Mini out of the way, so that they can promote and market the compact form factor when in clamshell mode.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
If it's truly one 'n done, I hope there will be some fire sales eventually so I can pick one up.

I love my OGSE, but worry that this is probably my last year of the latest iOS (upcoming iOS15).

That said - I'm super stoked to still be "cutting edge" until at least Fall of 2022!!
Awesome!

Reactions: Falhófnir

boak

macrumors 65832
Jun 26, 2021
If it's truly one 'n done, I hope there will be some fire sales eventually so I can pick one up.

I love my OGSE, but worry that this is probably my last year of the latest iOS (upcoming iOS15).

That said - I'm super stoked to still be "cutting edge" until at least Fall of 2022!!
Awesome!
Some models are more than £200 off on Amazon UK. I'm sure fire sales will happen soon enough everywhere.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.