Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
The summary is that the iPhone Mini’s form factor outweighs all the other benefits of the bigger phones. Orientate your assessment functionally, burn the spec sheet.

I’m not over Cook & co’s Hadean transaction. Yes corporate echo-panels I understand the worse financials, 1.5% sales etc, but this deserves a high quality update according to what it represents. Refinement. Minimising footprint. Engineering excellence. And certain things look greater next to it if you know what I mean, in that oft-visited scenario.

I still want an update, I demand it. I’ve recommended AAPL to friends Goddammit. It’s just the best phone as we’ve established. I’m considering human growth hormone to make the iPhone 15 Pro a relative Mini. I’m going to force Apple’s hand in a sense, through alteration of mine. Take that Cook (&co). Apparently we can have these outcomes regardless of epiphyseal fusion. And I don’t mean illegally silly, I’m proposing non stop intermittent fasting to increase it naturally. Let’s see what happens after a few months. Failing that we can run a massive stack.

iPhone Mini haters go to heck!

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Friends, our beloved 13 mini has the A15 chip in it, so it will be supported in line with the normal 13, iPad Mini 6, and also maybe the 14 Series. Just keep using it for years (maybe change the battery if necessary), until Apple releases an iPhone Flip then we will be sorted. I mean just look at the Galaxy Flip 5, if it had IOS it would be perfect for us.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
And……. Yet it didn’t sell and was cancelled lol 😂
Jk
I’m waiting for Apple to post mini on refurb site. Screw it I’ll impulse buy it. Had the mini 12 and 13 for 1 year each. I love that phone. I should not have sold my 13 mini in hindsight.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Jk
I’m waiting for Apple to post mini on refurb site. Screw it I’ll impulse buy it. Had the mini 12 and 13 for 1 year each. I love that phone. I should not have sold my 13 mini in hindsight.

It’s like our minds are somehow charmed into believing that maybe yes it isn’t actually that great and an upgrade would be worthwhile. Yet anytime you remember when you hold the bloody thing, relevant in around 100% of my use at least, there’s no comparison.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Jk
It sold, likely more than entire flagships from competitors, but as a public company Apple is at the mercy of The Law of Big Numbers. If they only move 30 million units if something, that’s considered a “flop” by Wall Street instead of a rather healthy revenue stream.

I think Apple understands there is a niche demand for non-ludicrously large phones. Unfortunately it doesn’t warrant continuously producing them from an ROI perspective.

My theory is that every 4-5 years or so there will be a mini model released to address the upgrade cycle current mini owners have.

I just jumped from my mini 12 to a 13 specifically so I can keep this for another 5 years or so (I’ll replace the battery in a few).

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
It sold, likely more than entire flagships from competitors, but as a public company Apple is at the mercy of The Law of Big Numbers. If they only move 30 million units if something, that’s considered a “flop” by Wall Street instead of a rather healthy revenue stream.

I think Apple understands there is a niche demand for non-ludicrously large phones. Unfortunately it doesn’t warrant continuously producing them from an ROI perspective.

My theory is that every 4-5 years or so there will be a mini model released to address the upgrade cycle current mini owners have.

I just jumped from my mini 12 to a 13 specifically so I can keep this for another 5 years or so (I’ll replace the battery in a few).
Who knows but I im in socal and the only minis I see are my mom's 12 mini, tech YouTubers praising it. Only on macrumors do people rave about it but most phones I see are larger iPhones.

I saw an iPhone 7 today, I thought it was cool to see. Maybe guy sold his current phone and stepped down waiting for the 15 to come out.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Who knows but I im in socal and the only minis I see are my mom's 12 mini, tech YouTubers praising it. Only on macrumors do people rave about it but most phones I see are larger iPhones.

I saw an iPhone 7 today, I thought it was cool to see. Maybe guy sold his current phone and stepped down waiting for the 15 to come out.
The minis allegedly sold 5% of overall iPhone sales, so that makes sense.

That still comes out to 4ish million units at $599 a pop. I’d love to “flop” that hard, that’s more revenue that entire big name companies…

azpekt

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2012
hp, illinois
I decided to stay truth to my 13Mini

1694891260266.png

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Friends, our beloved 13 mini has the A15 chip in it, so it will be supported in line with the normal 13, iPad Mini 6, and also maybe the 14 Series. Just keep using it for years (maybe change the battery if necessary), until Apple releases an iPhone Flip then we will be sorted. I mean just look at the Galaxy Flip 5, if it had IOS it would be perfect for us.
I will not ever buy a phablet phone, that choice doesn't even exist in my world. I have been thinking of the options all over and over again.
I'm in no hurry for a new phone, my 13 will be fine another at least 2-3 yrs or so.
But when it's time, I much rather buy a Samsung Flip and skipping the iOS, then iOS and a phablet.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I will not ever buy a phablet phone, that choice doesn't even exist in my world. I have been thinking of the options all over and over again.
I'm in no hurry for a new phone, my 13 will be fine another at least 2-3 yrs or so.
But when it's time, I much rather buy a Samsung Flip and skipping the iOS, then iOS and a phablet.
Same boat. I’ll keep my MacBook and iPad, but if there’s not an actual hand sized iPhone in 4-6 years when it’s time to upgrade I’ll go elsewhere.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I had the 12 and 13 minis. They were great phones during the pandemic's early stages when we were always home. I was a big defender of the Mini line here and elsewhere.

But all it took was one trip to DisneyWorld where the Achilles heel that is battery life really became evident. I moved to the 14 Pro last year, and despite initial hesitations of its size and weight (to where my hand literally hurt holding it), it has since become normalized. Now when I pick up my daughter's 13 Mini, I'm shocked by its size and weight.

Reactions: JamesMcFlyJR

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012

Not sure why people keep bringing this up as an alternative.
Yes it is smaller (but fatter) in your pocket, but once you fold it open to use it, it is harder to use one-handed than the 15 Pro..
Plus you get a crease in the display and a "glass" that feels cheap to the touch.

flip.png

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I believe Apple wants to make full use of all the R&D costs that was put into the mini, and it will therefore return soon enough, maybe as an SE. They have done it in the past: iPhone 5 > 5s > SE 1st gen, and iPhone 6 > 6s > 7 > 8 > SE 2nd gen.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009

This analysis seems likely doesn’t it. Yes the financials show it’s not currently a good business decision, but I need no convincing of the notion that Jobs may not have been so myopic, if I may be so bold to suggest.

We’re talking upholding brand caliber. Weight and size reductions while retaining supreme function. Everyone benefits, the power users, light users, the onans, users whose main use is phone and text but need capability at hand.

Even if it sold less for whatever reason, invisibility is at least a worthy direction for the tech, if it’s not indeed its raison d’être. Speaking from the vantage of someone whose username references him, I really do suspect Jobs would’ve found a way with the Mini.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I believe Apple wants to make full use of all the R&D costs that was put into the mini, and it will therefore return soon enough, maybe as an SE. They have done it in the past: iPhone 5 > 5s > SE 1st gen, and iPhone 6 > 6s > 7 > 8 > SE 2nd gen.
Unfortunately if that cadence holds true, the iPhone X body will be the next SE.

Edit: not the 8, the X

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I think a mini based SE would make sense for a number of reasons, but all the rumours I've seen are saying the next SE will be a 6.1" device, and not until 2025! Granted the leakers are definitely struggling more than they were in the recent past to pin down the specifics (a lot of conflicting rumours coming from the usual suspects with decent track records) but no one is mentioning a 5.4" SE in anything other than a speculative capacity.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Not sure why people keep bringing [Samsung Flip] up as an alternative.
Yes it is smaller (but fatter) in your pocket, but once you fold it open to use it, it is harder to use one-handed than the 15 Pro..

Preach! Just a camouflaged phablet. Pass for me.

I think a mini based SE would make sense for a number of reasons, but all the rumours I've seen are saying the next SE will be a 6.1" device, and not until 2025!

Alas, seems like this might have to be the lesser of two evils down the road.

As others have mentioned, don't want a big phone, love the Mini size, can live with 5.7" SE as had that previously, never a fan of 6.1" models (always feel bulky). But in 3 years when I might think about replacing my new Mini, this might be the only choice unfortunately. My last two and current phones are not "flagships" (ie. "newest" models re CPU/GPU, etc [8, 2020 SE, 13 Mini]), have no need for latest/greatest, and have no desire to "overpay" for a phone: it's just a phone, no need to make a "statement" with it. 6.1" SE might be only viable option for me wrt price and size.

Last edited:

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I mean just look at the Galaxy Flip 5, if it had IOS it would be perfect for us.
Nah, the Flip is too heavy, almost 40% heavier than the 12 mini, and actually has the same weight as the 15 Pro!

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I had the 12 and 13 minis. They were great phones during the pandemic's early stages when we were always home. I was a big defender of the Mini line here and elsewhere.

But all it took was one trip to DisneyWorld where the Achilles heel that is battery life really became evident. I moved to the 14 Pro last year, and despite initial hesitations of its size and weight (to where my hand literally hurt holding it), it has since become normalized. Now when I pick up my daughter's 13 Mini, I'm shocked by its size and weight.
Battery case! I got one just for the occasional day trip. Day to day, I like my phone as small, slim, and light as possible.

Reactions: SalisburySam

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Preach! Just a camouflaged phablet. Pass for me.

Alas, seems like this might have to be the lesser of two evils down the road.

As others have mentioned, don't want a big phone, love the Mini size, can live with 5.7" SE as had that previously, never a fan of 6.1" models (always feel bulky). But in 3 years when I might think about replacing my new Mini, this might be the only choice unfortunately. Last two and current phones are not "flagships" (ie. "newest" models re CPU/GPU, etc [8, 2020 SE, 13 Mini]), have no need for latest/greatest, and have no desire to "overpay" for a phone: it's just a phone, no need to make a "statement" with it. 6.1" SE might be only viable option for me wrt price and size.
I thought it would have been a good idea to use the original Pro sizes (5.8" and 6.5") for the base iPhones, to maintain a bit more size variety in the lineup, it's not like Apple is bulk buying display panels to use in the regular and pro models, as they have different characteristics on refresh rate, brightness etc. A 5.8" phone with the flat edged design introduced with the iPhone 12 would probably have been reasonably compact, and the X, XS and 11 Pro all sold very well. Seems a bit of a missed opportunity to me, but I guess Apple ultimately goes by their market research.

Personally I'm happy enough with the 6.1" model, but I started out with plus models, so it feels comparatively much more compact to me!

Reactions: NoBoMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.