Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

askingquestion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2021
Hello,

I want to buy an IPhone mini tomorrow and I came across a TON of posts talking about the touching issues it has. I watched a video that showed scrolling (specially upward) won't work once placed on a table and operating with a finger. There were videos of the lock screen struggling to open unless the phone was touching part of the hand. And you can't push the torch button or camera if it's inside a cover. "Grounding issue" many call it. I wonder if the update 14.2.1 actually fixed all these issues (as some say it did) or you guys are still having those problems? All the posts are mostly from back in November and there aren't many recent input about it.

I want to to be able to set it on the table and scroll on say Instagram. Keeping it naked and without cover or screen protector is no problem with me but I don't want to buy a device with hardware problems, (I'm very OCD.) My last iphone was Iphone XS and it worked perfectly fine before I lost it.

askingquestion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2021
There are no touch screen problems. All the things you read about have been fixed via software. There is no reason not to get the mini. If the problems hadn't been fixed, you would have heard about it all over tech news.
I live in a country with no apple support, so I want to make sure I won't need to return it. I wonder if I should mention the problem to the retailer. So I need confirmation from iphone mini owners who's had that problem and got it fixed with software update. There are a lot of videos on youtube showcasing the problem and it's very scary for me because I won't be able to return the device in any way.

I will go and buy it with much more ease if Iphone mini users confirm all the problems really have been solved via software updates. There are a few recent replies in the original apple discussions thread saying touching issues still persisted after the updates. :(

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I live in a country with no apple support, so I want to make sure I won't need to return it. I wonder if I should mention the problem to the retailer. So I need confirmation from iphone mini owners who's had that problem and got it fixed with software update. There are a lot of videos on youtube showcasing the problem and it's very scary for me because I won't be able to return the device in any way.

I will go and buy it with much more ease if Iphone mini users confirm all the problems really have been solved via software updates. There are a few recent replies in the original apple discussions thread saying touching issues still persisted after the updates. :(
I mini user replied to your thread.

Reactions: Barbareren

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Good to know. So you had the problem at first? Then it was fixed? So it's not really a "grounding issue" which sounds like HW problem.
I had the problems you read about as did every other mini user who got the phone on launch day. Two weeks after launch, the software was updated to address the mini problems. There are no mini hardware production defects that I am aware of.

askingquestion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2021
This video really freaks me out :
in this video it says it's behaving that way even after the update? If there really is an issue I will get the regular Iphone 12. Mini users please help/reply. I really like the mini size, just not having any apple care service around makes me reluctant to buy it.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I never actually experienced any of these lock screen touch issues with my launch day 12 mini, probably as i never installed a screen protector. It was a known issue though, which has since been completely fixed with software updates as Apple Robert said.

Reactions: askingquestion

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest

Software update came out on November 19 and fixed this. I understand wanting to be sure about making a purchase, but if you're going to believe every random person on the internet claiming that something is a 'big problem' then you won't buy anything.

Go check out the yellow screen thread. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/yellow-screen-tint-display-seem-warm-check-here-first.2262691/

If that doesn't scare you away from a new iPhone, nothing will.

Yes, I have a Mini with none of these touchscreen issues.

askingquestion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2021

Software update came out on November 19 and fixed this. I understand wanting to be sure about making a purchase, but if you're going to believe every random person on the internet claiming that something is a 'big problem' then you won't buy anything.

Go check out the yellow screen thread. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/yellow-screen-tint-display-seem-warm-check-here-first.2262691/

If that doesn't scare you away from a new iPhone, nothing will.

Yes, I have a Mini with none of these touchscreen issues.
Oh, about the yellow screen, seems like it is set on dark mode. lol But it's not really scary for me as screen is something you can always replace. An unidentified problem like scrolling on the device is something I can never fix which is unnerving. The iphone mini is supposed to be gift from my mom I'm wishing to keep for a long time so it really worries me. She offered to get the regular 12 as well. I wonder if buying the latter is less risky.

But tbh the mini is what I like most because of its size. And also the 12 regular is unappealing to me because of having two sim card slots, so I'm torn between the mini and the SE.(the old Touch ID really sets it apart from all the tablet looking phones.) Having an extra sim card slot for someone who would never use it and with OCD is kinda annoying. lol I miss my XS. I wish I hadn't lost it, it was the most perfect phone. And I was in Turkey at the time which has great apple service.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.