Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
This inquiry involves a 7+ model. Is it true that a model A1784 that is unlocked will work on Verizon but may not be optimal or work as well as an A1661. I have Verizon and am wondering if I am wrong in avoiding unlocked A1784 phones. Thank you in advance.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
My wife works for AT&T. She says to go with the A1661 as it will work for sure. The A7184 will be hit and miss. We are with Verizon even though she works AT&T.

Reactions: compwiz1202

krifor03

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
A1661 is a CDMA model so it has access to Verizons CDMA network
A1784 is a GSM model it does not have the antennas to access CDMA signals

LTE is a GSM based technology, that’s why Verizon phones come with SIM cards now.

The only issue in picking phones is COVERAGE. If you are in an area with good LTE coverage...no issues. If you move out of that area of good LTE into an area where the phone needs to switch connection types (Go from LTE to CDMA), with the A1784 you’re SOL you go straight to “no service“ because it does not have the necessary antennas to get on Verizon’s lower speed network.

With the A1661 it DOES have the CDMA antennas you need and when you leave LTE you’ll see the HPSA+ (or whatever it is. I dropped Verizon) and not be SOL

The1andOnly

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2020
A1661 is a CDMA model so it has access to Verizons CDMA network
A1784 is a GSM model it does not have the antennas to access CDMA signals

LTE is a GSM based technology, that’s why Verizon phones come with SIM cards now.

The only issue in picking phones is COVERAGE. If you are in an area with good LTE coverage...no issues. If you move out of that area of good LTE into an area where the phone needs to switch connection types (Go from LTE to CDMA), with the A1784 you’re SOL you go straight to “no service“ because it does not have the necessary antennas to get on Verizon’s lower speed network.

With the A1661 it DOES have the CDMA antennas you need and when you leave LTE you’ll see the HPSA+ (or whatever it is. I dropped Verizon) and not be SOL
Thank you for the info guys.
Just to add to the discussion, I believe Verizon is scheduled to shut down their 3G (CDMA) network at the end of 2020 (THIS year). So, supposedly, choosing A1661 over A1784 will provide no benefit at all. I researched this recently, as I am planning to give my A1901 iPhone X (AT&T - GSM Only) to my Dad when I get an iPhone 12 Pro MAX. My Dad is on Verizon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.