Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

georgeram

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
So I assume most people here has a passcode for their iphone right? And some people might have it turned off when they are home? When in public, they always have it on?

Now in a situation where you are forced to enter your passcode on your uphone, is there a way to have 2 different passcodes to where one passcode is to your normal iphone where all your regular apps such as whatever apps you have and say banking apps and everything? Thus that one would also have access to your email as you don't need to enter your email to enter your password everytime.

Then you have a different passcode where it would open another profile with whatever apps you have there? And thus it's like a decoy passcode where even though you do download some apps there, none of them are banking apps and any email that is already logged in is like a dummy email you use? Since I heard a thief or anyone with access to your iphone would change your password and then you can't access it anymore and that is one big issue apple has that can't be fixed or it can? The other issue is they could log into your banking and money apps and send money from your account to others. But in situations like this, does that person get their money back or not from the banks? The other thing is when a thief or thieves do this, the money they are sending from the money to apps to another... it certainly isn't to their own names right? Thus it's a hacked bank account or money sending app account and they have the debit card for it? So they would then go to an ATM and withdraw as much as they can until the card gets blocked? The other thing is of course you could just not have any banking apps on your phone but obviously many people do. Now is there a way to have money banking apps and things like that on but make it invisible until you enable it each time or not possible? What about email? Email most people are logged in already so clicking on mail or gmail on app gets you to your email.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Decent banking apps have separate passcodes to get into them and don't use the device's passcode.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Only possible with jailbreaking. And the one tweak that I recall for this was circa 2013-2014 or so. It's probably long dead by now.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
If you are in public, entering passcode on your phone is not safe. Face-ID is much safer. Even my banking app uses Face-ID.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If you are in public, entering passcode on your phone is not safe. Face-ID is much safer. Even my banking app uses Face-ID.
I think that's part of the reason the particular jailbreak tweak I remember was abandoned. Touch ID came along and it was no longer necessary. The idea behind the tweak was that if you were in public, you'd enter the 'guest access' passcode and anyone spying for that who got a hold of your phone would be limited in what they could do.

But yeah, TouchID and now FaceID made that unnecessary.

Reactions: Jackbequickly
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.