Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waaaffles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2017
Hello,

My phone seems to be constantly changing the number of 'bars' and network it is using.

I took a two minute video after powering up:

In the two minutes, the number of bars on the LTE network jumps between 1 and 2, then 'LTE' even blinks a few times, then it switches to 3G, back to LTE, then 3G again. Sometimes it changes to 'No Service'.

I have tried multiple SIM cards and the issue follows the phone. I have also tested from multiple physical locations. Using another phone in the same location has no issues, even with the same SIM.

Telus says it is a phone issue.

Anyone have any idea of what the issue could be?

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.3.3

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My 8 month old 6s does the same thing.

I hold my 6s next to a 6s Plus. Both are running the same firmware, same carrier. The Plus will get 5 dots, mine will get 2. I make a call, the 6s goes to 5 dots and back to 2 or 3 dots when I hang up.

I had it changed at the Apple store for a replacement and the replacement does the same thing. Doesn't matter whether I don't use a case and how I hold.

You can test your signal strength too by dialling *3001#12345#8, press call button, and read the signal strength. It can vary from -40 to -130. -40 is the strongest. At -130, you basically have no service.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
I've been noticing my 6s plus gives a no service message more frequently now. I just had it replaced under AppleCare+ and I don't remember my old phone having this issue. I did just download the latest iOS though.

Reactions: Audit13

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My 6s behaved the same way under 10.3.3 as well, even after changing the phone.

I'll have to be patient and wait until the next iOS release for a possible improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.