Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elfiy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2020
Hi all,

I am trying to connect my iphone 5s to a macbook pro 2012 running Catalina 10.15.5 OS. The iphone connects to the mac fine (visible in itunes etc) but I want to turn on internet sharing from the macbook's Ethernet to the Iphone via the USB cable. Cannot use wifi. I have it working on other computers with high Sierra OS but i've tried everything I can think of to get the iphone to show up as a port with the catalina OS computer and nothing. Anyone know why it is not in the "To computers using" list of ports? ...any advice here would be amazing. Thanks :)

Attachments

• Internet Sharing.png
    Internet Sharing.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 408

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
So you're trying to share the Mac's wireless internet connection over a wired connection to an iPhone in airplane mode? I am not sure that you can do that with a straight USB to Lightning cable, but it might be possible using the camera connection kit (https://www.lifewire.com/connect-ipad-to-wired-ethernet-port-1994242). Why can't you connect the MacBook Pro to wired ethernet and connect the iPhone to a personal hotspot on your MacBook Pro?

Last edited:

Elfiy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2020
Hi chabig, thanks for your reply. Not quite - the mac is connected to the internet via an ethernet cable (with an ethernet to thunderbolt adapter to be specific). The phone is plugged into the mac via the USB charging cable. The computer recognises the phone everywhere, except in the port list "To computers using" bit (see image above). So essentially I am wanting to use the internet via ethernet on my macbook and on my phone, without any wifi or hot spotting involved (due to EMF sensitivity - the wifi makes me really sick). I know it can work because this is how I have always done it but i've had no luck with the new Catalina OS. Perhaps I am doing something wrong to do with the phone 'port'?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I know it can work because this is how I have always done it but i've had no luck with the new Catalina OS.
I didn't know that ever worked. Is the iPhone plugged in using a Lightning to USB-C cable?

Elfiy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2020
Yup! you just have to select the Thunderbolt Ethernet to iphone USB option under internet sharing - except in my case with catalina there's no iphone USB listed :(

Elfiy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2020
Yes...and flight mode off and on makes no difference. It works on other mac OS's on flight mode :)

Elfiy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2020
FYI I just installed the 10.15.6 update and it solved the problem! YAY :)

Reactions: chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.