Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleNewBee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Ever since I updated to IOS 5, my iPhone does not show up in the finder. It shows up in iTunes, but not in the finder. I'm trying to import the photos from my phone, but I can't do that until I can get to my phone through the finder. I'd prefer to import them into Lightroom, but iPhoto would be fine, too. My husband has recently turned on photo stream for me, so now I have all the new photos i have taken in there, but I would like to get all my old photos as well. Does anyone know what's going on? What do I need to do?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
iPhones have never showed up in Finder. Could you mean Image Capture? That's in the Applications folder.

dknightd

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2004
I'm guessing that what used to happen is you plugged your phone into the usb cable, and iphoto (or perhaps Lightroom) would start up and give you the option to import your photos from the phone.

That will not happen once you activate photo stream in iCloud. Now all the photos will "magically" appear on your computer.

The problem is that pictures you took between your last import, and the activation of icloud, will be in no mans/womans land. iCloud will not move them, and iphoto will not import them. You might have to disable icloud to be able to import the missing pictures. I do not know the implications of this. You might loose pictures, you might end up with duplicates. I'd tread lightly.

Maybe one safe option is to email yourself the (hopefully few) pictures you took during that time.

brandyjc

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014
Redmond, WA
iPhoto

I just figured this out. With photo streaming, you come home to an iMac with all the iPhone pics you took showing up in iPhoto. But, they're NOT on your machine. They're on your phone.

If you want them on your machine, like I do, then highlight them all with Command-A, click on the Import button in iPhoto (upper right corner). Once that's done the "Export" option in iPhoto is no longer grayed out, and you can export the pics to whatever folder you wanted.

Also, as you're importing, doing it this way allows you to optionally delete the photos from your phone. The Image Capture app will bring them over to the hard drive as well, but it doesn't give the delete option, so it's really copying and not moving. Depends on what you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.