Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..

Magic Hat makes some good stuff. Someone once told me you can take a case or sixer of something if you take a tour...

Yes, that's the one. Lovely stuff, shame I couldn't bring any back to the UK :)

And yes, I was told you get free drinks if you take a tour of the brewing plant. Didn't have time to do it tho we drove past it a couple of times.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
This is unfortunate to be sure for the people who live in these areas. However, from a business point of view, it makes (twisted) sense. Why spend millions or even billions to provide coverage to huge swaths of land where there are very few people? Vermont has a total population of ~600,000- in front of only wyoming in the battle for smallest population- so why even bother? You can spend a fraction of the cost covering NYC with HSDPA speeds and make a whole lot more profit than blanketing a large, sparsely populated state with EDGE.

Anyway, I live in Oregon, one of the states in which some people will not be able to get the iPhone. The state of Oregon has 3.4 million people living in it, and 2.1 million of them live in the Portland Metro area (Which has HSDPA/UMTS coverage). There are cities around the rest of the state (Bend, for example), but none compare to the population of Portland. Most of our state is farms and forest- it would make no sense for Cingular to build a tower to service 10 farming families and their cattle. It is a rather cool approach to the issue, but I am certain it is the way that Cingular sees it. They are not here to help people in rural locations communicate, to help you reconect with old friends, or to help you tell your family about your new baby. They are here turn a profit, and aparently, Vermont dosen't have a green enough bottom line.

Hope for an unlocked version!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Kind of related....

Verizon is selling its residential telephone business in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont shedding more of what the company sees as noncore assets as it invests billions to upgrade its wired and nonwired networks for next generation services. The operations serve 1.5 million homes.

If Cingular doesn't want their wireless business, someone will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.