Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
No Bashing any of the OSes,(unless it's windows phone 7)
Android is not iOS and iOS is not Android.

They are two completely different OSs with some similarities and many differences. They both do some things better then the other. My way to base your decision would be to base it on what you want to be able to do and how good is your tech knowledge.

1. If you are a person who is frequently away from your primary computer then an Android would be better for you. Androids allow you to sync it with your google services over the air. It allows you to get on any computer and wirelessly sync your computer through the web browsers.

2. If you are a person who doesn't know how to manage your music. Then you should get an Iphone Itunes makes it much easier to manage the various Media things on your Iphone.

3. If you may want to use your phone as a flash drive, then you should get an Android. To allow you to have the flash drive option.

4. If you have a difficult time getting use to new things, Then I iPhone is better. The Iphone is really easy to learn compared to android. Don't get me wrong android is easy to learn just not up to the level as an Iphone.

5. Do you want to install third party apps not on the App-store/marketplace. Go android it allows you to install what ever you want on to your phone.

6. If you want multiple Accessories then go for the Iphone. The 30pin Connection is quite amazing and nearly universal in allowing people buy millions of different accessories.

7. Want to customize your phone you should get an android. Androids have much more personalization options then Iphones.

8. Are you a forgetful person always losing your phone. go with the Iphone with mobile me or get a Chain surgically attached to your arm that attaches to your phone.

*If you want to play games with your phone then well this one they both win.
The iOS has more gaming APPS(keyword being apps.) While android has access to far more games via emulators. So for casual games the iOS wins for more sit down and longer games then the Android wins

What are you talking about? My iPhone syncs (almost instantly) my Gmail, Contacts, and Calendar, just like my Android phone did.

And how is the 30-pin connector more "universal" than a USB (Universal Serial Bus) port?

This post is a waste of time.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
What are you talking about? My iPhone syncs (almost instantly) my Gmail, Contacts, and Calendar, just like my Android phone did.

And how is the 30-pin connector more "universal" than a USB (Universal Serial Bus) port?

This post is a waste of time.

because there are hundreds of accessories that utilize the 30 pin...car connection kits, clock radios...most people have at least one dock connector cable...only Apple devices have the port, but wherever you go you're bound to find an accessory thats more compatiable with iDevices than with devices with mini or micro USB connectors

ipxmbx

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2011
I'm a tech enthusiast, I like everything. It makes things interesting as one compares. Obviously some are better than others, it's all up to the individual.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Most probably all person who is visiting this forum are iphone person.

Shocking - an iPhone forum's population is comprised of iPhone enthusiasts :eek: :p

Preaching to the choir, that's what this thread is doing for the most part.

With that said, there's a few of us that have had or currently have a non-iPhone phone. I moved from an iPhone to a Nexus One to a Droidx back to the iPhone.

I like a lot of what android has to offer, but I moved back to iOS in part because my company closed access to their servers for non iPhone, non blackberry devices. I miss some of what android has to offer, and I enjoy some of what iOS has to offer.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
So, if I'm stupid, because I can't manage music and have a difficult time getting used to new things (cue old fart here who can't program a VCR or add contacts to a cell phone), and if I'm nearly senile, then I should get an iPhone.

Android is not iOS and iOS is not Android.
Yeah, right.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So, if I'm stupid, because I can't manage music and have a difficult time getting used to new things (cue old fart here who can't program a VCR or add contacts to a cell phone), and if I'm nearly senile, then I should get an iPhone.
That's the inverse of the argument that android is complicated, so then the iPhone is for people who cannot comprehend much of anything.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Been an Android user for a while, but I might jump the Android ship for WP7 or WebOS next year. I'm going to see how they shape up. :D

Hands down recommended the Samsung Focus for my dad. It was free on contract and Android would have been way too complicated for him.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
If you got the Android phone first and loved it for three months until it began blatantly crashing and deleting contacts randomly and you didn't know which effing "third party" app you downloaded to cause this catastrophe so you just reset the phone and started all over.. at least three times - an iPhone is for you.;)

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
If you got the Android phone first and loved it for three months until it began blatantly crashing and deleting contacts randomly and you didn't know which effing "third party" app you downloaded to cause this catastrophe so you just reset the phone and started all over.. at least three times - an iPhone is for you.;)

Good one!!!:)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Great video Lol!

This exact thing (whatever android phone he had started screwing up) happened to my Son. He called tech support and was told to remove all of his apps to see if that fixed it. He ended up switching to an iPhone.

This is one of the definite advantages of iPhone over Android. Here is an interesting read at the android forums for the procedures to 'protect' yourself from Android apps. In comparison, if you feel Apple is controlling, it can be argued the Android environment is the price of freedom. ;) I feel it is safe to say this is not something you have to worry about on your iPhone. This is one of the reasons I have traditionally shunned Windows (except when I'm playing games. :p) and it does give me pause to wonder why I'd want to put myself through that.

An analogy could be that the Android represents anarchy and Apple represents the benevolent dictatorship. ;) You just have to decide if the benefits outweigh the threats.

Last edited:

Lotso

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
OC, California
Sorry, I know how to manage my music, I just choice to do so with iTunes as it syncs well with my media(and my choice of music player)

DoubleTwist works well with Android though.

This^

I dont know why people hate using iTunes so much. I keep my music 100% organized and I think it does it brillianty. Thats coming from someone who doesnt download from the iTunes store.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
For me...

iOS Pros: So simple, eye candy transitions, smooth, hasn't crashed on me ever
iOS Cons: Is not as customizable as Android obviously

Android OS Pros: So many things you can customize, lots of devices
Android OS Cons: Unpolished OS, crashed on various devices, not as smooth

iHeartapple2

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Kind of a stupid question to be asking in a forum full of Apple fans don't ya think? :rolleyes: I am and will always be a iPhone user.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Kind of a stupid question to be asking in a forum full of Apple fans don't ya think? :rolleyes: I am and will always be a iPhone user.

Yeah but it doesn't hurt to see what the other side offers right?

I honestly think if Android was polished and smooth and stable, it would be 100% better than iOS. But in reality, it is only 40% complete at best. It has lag issues, poor transitions, crashes...etc.

It just isn't super clean as iOS is.

6thSense

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2012
I'm a noob here, and I know this post is old. Just happened to stumble upon it searching for Android stuff.

I've been an iPhone fanboy for a while now. I had a buddy who swore by Android, so recently I put my bias aside and tried it. For a period of one month, I documented my journey with this new op including likes, dislikes, frustrations, etc. on my blog – A 30 Day Tech Love Affair.

After the end of 30 days, I have to give a SLIGHT advantage to Android. I think the aesthetics, layout & navigation of iOS is a lot better (and yes mine is jailbroken)...but as far as flexibility I feel Android still gives you more options. Not to mention I love Google drive, email, voice, etc and the integration with Google products is seamless.

Ultimately, it's hard to say definitively one is better than the other because it all boils down to your personal preference. But you have to respect Android for coming into a market saturated with iOS and creating their own niche. It reminds me of how PlayStation dominated the market, and XBOX came in and slowly took over by building a better online network experience.

--------------------

http://www.marriedandwhatnot.wordpress.com

emacna1

macrumors regular
May 31, 2012
so recently I put my bias aside and tried it. For a period of one month

I find that most people who bash Android are ones who won't give it the light of day. Yeah if you play around with it for a few days you're going to be confused, uncomfortable, and hesitant. But if you give it time you'll come to find it is an excellent, well-polished OS.

It isn't entirely "people's" fault though. You can't really buy a phone, try it out decently, and then go back if you want to.

But like you said, it is entirely preference. iOS might work better for Person A while Android might work better for Person B.

6thSense

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2012
I find that most people who bash Android are ones who won't give it the light of day. Yeah if you play around with it for a few days you're going to be confused, uncomfortable, and hesitant. But if you give it time you'll come to find it is an excellent, well-polished OS.

It isn't entirely "people's" fault though. You can't really buy a phone, try it out decently, and then go back if you want to.

But like you said, it is entirely preference. iOS might work better for Person A while Android might work better for Person B.

Amen!! I used to be that way. I just swore by Apple without giving Android the time of day. But you have to respect it for its flexibility.

--------------------

http://www.marriedandwhatnot.wordpress.com

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2010
I have to be blunt here, but anyone that is a fanboy of a particular brand is a ****ing tool, and sheep. I don't care if it's phones...clothes...cars...Modern society has become way too materialistic.

I see kids wearing "Guess" brand t-shirts with the name Guess in big letters written across the front, I ask them, did you get that t-shirt for free ? I mean you are advertising that brand for the company, they look at me weird and say no way, I paid $70 for this t-shirt, I just LOL, and think no ****ing clue.

Phones are the same too, at the end of the day the iPhone...Nexus...Windows-7 pretty much do the same thing, they all text your family and friends the same...you can send and read e-mails on all three...you can surf the web on all three...you can make phone calls on all three...you can play games on all three...watch YouTube videos on all three. People get too worked up in a brand name or OS, they all good in their own way, some years one is better than the other, but overall extremely similar.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011

Why WP7? I understand it has its limitations but as an OS it is rock solid. Why the bashing?

If anything i would like it to come up as a solid 3rd competitor in the next one year with Apollo. I like the idea of baked in automatic syncing with windows 8 instead of a standalone client plus competition is nice always. And it is a closed source OS meaning it can avoid the pitfalls of android (with some non open limitations of its own ofcourse).

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2010
Why WP7? I understand it has its limitations but as an OS it is rock solid. Why the bashing?

If anything i would like it to come up as a solid 3rd competitor in the next one year with Apollo. I like the idea of baked in automatic syncing with windows 8 instead of a standalone client plus competition is nice always. And it is a closed source OS meaning it can avoid the pitfalls of android (with some non open limitations of its own ofcourse).

I prefer Android right now today, but the upcoming Windows-8 phones could be a game changer, with 720p HD screens...multi-cores...better app store...I think the Nokia version will really surprise a lot of people, and I will remain open minded to them, for sure. Are there any leaks of those phones yet ? I am very interested in seeing the Nokia Windows-8 phone. Ok I found this;
http://mynokiablog.com/2012/05/26/rumors-nokia-windows-8-handsets-to-have-same-n9800900-form-factor/

Also the iPhone-Next with larger screen, and redone iOS might tempt me back to an iPhone again.

But will also wait to see what the Nexus-Four w/Android 5.0 jellybean brings to the table

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.