Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moargolems

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
Finland
Just fired up my backup phone (iPhone 3G, iPhone OS 3.1.2) just for nostalgic reasons, and I realized how solid piece of firmware this was. Everything is blazing fast and that old page scrolling is kinda sexy.

Is anyone using earlier-than-iOS 4 -firmware anymore? And is Vintapps still working?

mackerm

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2013
Los Angeles County
As someone who made a free tool for finding apps which work on 1st generation iOS 3.1.3 devices, I can verify that people are still very interested in using the older devices. There's a huge installed user base.

Vintapps 3.1.3 was removed from the App store. You can read the details on their Facebook page.

Just curious... how come you never upgraded your iPhone 3G to iOS 4.2.1? Yeah, it's slow, but you can play Cut The Rope, now that Apple permits "last compatible version" downloads!

Last edited:

Daria

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
Northern California
I'm just curious and thought to ask you this question: with the "last compatible version" deal, would it work for me to re-install Simplenote (that older version) on my iPod touch which has 3.1.3 OS?

I have the most recent Simplenote on my iPhone 4 and in my iMac, so would each device get updated accurately in regular use i.e., will the old device be able to work in connection with the newer software of the other devices?

When Simplenote made their last version or update, it wouldn't download to my older iPod. Stupidly, I'd deleted the old before trying the new, and then it was too late. So I'm asking if now this means that it's not too late. Or is this only for Apple-made apps?

Sorry ~ you can tell I'm not very knowledgeable, but I'd appreciate some help with this. :)

As someone who made a free tool for finding apps which work on 1st generation iOS 3.1.3 devices, I can verify that people are still very interested in using the older devices. There's a huge installed user base.

Vintapps 3.1.3 was removed from the App store. You can read the details on their Facebook page.

Just curious... how come you never upgraded your iPhone 3G to iOS 4.2.1? Yeah, it's slow, but you can play Cut The Rope, now that Apple permits "last compatible version" downloads!

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Just fired up my backup phone (iPhone 3G, iPhone OS 3.1.2) just for nostalgic reasons, and I realized how solid piece of firmware this was. Everything is blazing fast and that old page scrolling is kinda sexy.

Is anyone using earlier-than-iOS 4 -firmware anymore? And is Vintapps still working?

nah, it was blazing fast w/ the 3GS :p

Also copy/paste and MMS and everybody applauded it... had it on my blackjack plus a bunch of other stuff 2 years before it. The 3GS was my first iPhone and was great!

Daria

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
Northern California
Thanks for checking, Mac. You were so nice to let me know the information. :)

I had the feeling that would be the case. It's not too big of a deal, as I have the iPhone 4 with all my main apps on it. The old iPod still works perfectly and so I use it for music and as a clock & timer and stuff. In that way, it's a help for extending each day's battery life on the iPhone.

Daria,
The "last compatible version" feature apparently doesn't list iOS 3 compatible versions. :(

lewisweekly

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2013
Cambridge area
WhiteD00r Firmware just proves how stable IOS 3 is. Its had millions of downloads and clearly shows the amount of people reluctant to upgrade!

Sorry that's me getting confused again... You are correct, I am getting confused between the downloads and Facebook 'likes'. My apologies, I must have been on there Facebook page during typing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.