Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
Got a question. Do most of you put a passcode for your iphone? I assume almost all of you do right? I think if you are using it at home, then obviously turn it off as its annoying to have to enter a passcode each time right?

Now with the passcode... if someone had access to your phone... could they get into it? I have an old iphone SE from years back. But isn't the passcode 6 digits only? So if thats the case, couldn't someone just brute force it by entering every 6 digit possible combination? Or does the iphone lock itself up after x amount of tries?

Also say you go to apple store to get a new replacement battery. A while back i did this and recall i came back in over an hour to get it back and they put the battery in. But when they do this... could they check whats on your phone during the process if you have passcode on? Reason is obvious as you don't want anyone checking your photos or anything in it. Like i assume almost all of you are signed into your email that way. But does the passcode prevent someone having access to view your iphone? I guess its similar to like encrypting your laptop so to speak.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Oh course! I have banking, licensing, important info. You Have to be operating with half a brain to not to put a password on a phone with extremely important info. I don’t care if it’s at home I need it secure. I believe 5s and above is when the password became more secure requiring special devices used by the fbi to unlock your phone. A regular thief wouldnt have access to that. In fact if you remember the San Bernardino terrorist had iPhone 5c that was extremely secure and needed a special device to decrypt. Im sure more recent iPhone and software updates have lockdown the phone even more.

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Got a question. Do most of you put a passcode for your iphone? I assume almost all of you do right? I think if you are using it at home, then obviously turn it off as its annoying to have to enter a passcode each time right?

Now with the passcode... if someone had access to your phone... could they get into it? I have an old iphone SE from years back. But isn't the passcode 6 digits only? So if thats the case, couldn't someone just brute force it by entering every 6 digit possible combination? Or does the iphone lock itself up after x amount of tries?

Also say you go to apple store to get a new replacement battery. A while back i did this and recall i came back in over an hour to get it back and they put the battery in. But when they do this... could they check whats on your phone during the process if you have passcode on? Reason is obvious as you don't want anyone checking your photos or anything in it. Like i assume almost all of you are signed into your email that way. But does the passcode prevent someone having access to view your iphone? I guess its similar to like encrypting your laptop so to speak.

To answer your questions:

- Yes, My phone as a pass code, but primarily I use FaceID and before that TouchID. In this day and age any sane person should lock their phone. I don't see why you would even turn that off at home. With FaceID or TouchID it's not an inconvenience at all.

- There's a security setting so that your phone locks and wipes its contents after 9 (I think?) failed attempts. Even without that, a 6 digit code means 1 million possibilities, so brute forcing it would not be practical for most people. If your phone is lost or stolen, chances are you would have enough time to lock/wipe it remotely before your code is cracked.

- If you leave your phone at an Apple Store, yes, it's possible that the technician can get into it. But they are professionals who ultimately you have to trust to do their jobs in a professional manner.

Reactions: secretk

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
To answer your questions:

- Yes, My phone as a pass code, but primarily I use FaceID and before that TouchID. In this day and age any sane person should lock their phone. I don't see why you would even turn that off at home. With FaceID or TouchID it's not an inconvenience at all.

- There's a security setting so that your phone locks and wipes its contents after 9 (I think?) failed attempts. Even without that, a 6 digit code means 1 million possibilities, so brute forcing it would not be practical for most people. If your phone is lost or stolen, chances are you would have enough time to lock/wipe it remotely before your code is cracked.

- If you leave your phone at an Apple Store, yes, it's possible that the technician can get into it. But they are professionals who ultimately you have to trust to do their jobs in a professional manner.

THIS!

As a backup I use iCloud and whenever I hand in an Apple device at the store I wipe it clean by restoring everything and then give it to them.

When I get it back, it’s only a matter of choosing to restore from backup and in an hour or 2 everything is back to normal.

Life is good.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
To bring the time to manually try to enter every possible combination will take a very Long time. I encourage the OP to test it.

Besides that any sane person uses a passcode on their personal computers like iPhones etc. Mostly as a backup unlock option for Face ID.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If you have to get the battery replace, backup the phone and then wipe it. That way you don't have to worry about anyone having access to anything important.

Even when I am at home, I always leave the passcode requirement turned on. If you get robbed or someone comes to visit etc., you don't want to make it easy for someone to gain access to your phone. My alphanumeric passcode is over 10 characters.

It is possible for a person to randomly input the correct 6 digit code, although the chances of that happening are very, very, very, slim to none. If you want to be very secure, set your phone to automatically erase after 10 failed passcode attempts, which is how I have my phone set.

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
Okay so im planning to go to apple store to get new battery replacement. How much is the cost right now to do it? Also... is it you leave it with them for an hour and then come back? Years ago i remember i did that... is that how it is now?

Now... if i do the passcode and it wipes it after ten attempts... then it should be fine right? I don't want to backup the phone and wipe it... just to go to apple store and have the battery replaced.

So you recommend before i go to apple store... obviously put the ten failed passcode attempts and iphone automatically erase. But would you say its necessary for me to sign out of my gmail/yahoo as well? Since whatever email you use on iphone is auto signed in right? I know when i click on mail, i can check all yahoo and gmail emails etc. So is that precaution good enough? The ten failed passcode attempt and also sign out of all emails?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Okay so im planning to go to apple store to get new battery replacement. How much is the cost right now to do it? Also... is it you leave it with them for an hour and then come back? Years ago i remember i did that... is that how it is now?

Now... if i do the passcode and it wipes it after ten attempts... then it should be fine right? I don't want to backup the phone and wipe it... just to go to apple store and have the battery replaced.

So you recommend before i go to apple store... obviously put the ten failed passcode attempts and iphone automatically erase. But would you say its necessary for me to sign out of my gmail/yahoo as well? Since whatever email you use on iphone is auto signed in right? I know when i click on mail, i can check all yahoo and gmail emails etc. So is that precaution good enough? The ten failed passcode attempt and also sign out of all emails?
Why don't you just erase all contents and settings? If you don't want to backup your device, you'll obviously have to setup as new. Why do ten attempts on passcode when you can do the exact same thing with erase all contents and settings instantly?

Reactions: ericwn

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Cost is still $49.00 plus tax as far as I'm aware. I just had my iPhone 7+ done a while back and that was the cost.

Nowadays you need to make an appointment to have anything done including a battery replacement. It might get done in an hour if they're not busy. But with Apple Stores just opening up, they're usually very busy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.