Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMiyagi1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Hey all,

So my iPhone 12 Pro when on the mag safe duo charger and while I am using personal hotspot. It initially shows as charging and then it’s like the battery level is going down on my iPhone as if it’s not charging anymore when personal hotspot is on.

Does anyone know why this happens or does it happen to anyone else.

However if I have my iPhone connected directly with the usb c cable connected to my 20w usb c power adapter I don’t have this issue.

Also am I doing any harm in having my iPhone connected directly to my power adapter all day while using personal hotspot when I am working. As I am working from home.

Ideally I would just rather have the iPhone sitting on the MagSafe duo all day while being charged but for some reason it does not seem to be liking that.

Thanks in advance,

Miyagi

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I’d choose the option that works:

Plug the phone into a 5 watt charger with a lightning cable while it’s a hotspot all day since that works and a 5 watt charger will charge it a little slower which is easier on the battery.

And use a HomeKit compatible smart plug to plug the charger into so you can make a charging automation in the Shortcuts App to turn the charger off when the battery reaches 75% full and back on when it drops to 65%.

Powering the phone that way will ensure that the battery will outlive the useful life of the phone (battery won’t wear out)

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
Hey all,

So my iPhone 12 Pro when on the mag safe duo charger and while I am using personal hotspot. It initially shows as charging and then it’s like the battery level is going down on my iPhone as if it’s not charging anymore when personal hotspot is on.

Does anyone know why this happens or does it happen to anyone else.

However if I have my iPhone connected directly with the usb c cable connected to my 20w usb c power adapter I don’t have this issue.

Also am I doing any harm in having my iPhone connected directly to my power adapter all day while using personal hotspot when I am working. As I am working from home.

Ideally I would just rather have the iPhone sitting on the MagSafe duo all day while being charged but for some reason it does not seem to be liking that.

Thanks in advance,

Miyagi
so the 12 Pro with personal hotspot turned on is on the Magsafe Duo,but battery goes down instead? is the charging icon there?

Alias3800

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2015
iPhones will stop charging if it determines the battery is taking on too much heat. Charging via MagSafe and turning on the hotspot is one surefire way of getting that to happen, unfortunately. Same thing happens on my end with the MagSafe battery pack.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Heat, too much and it stops charging. My 12PM max keeps overheating when I use it google maps. Screen dims and can’t see squat. Just gonna use my cars built in GPS

MrMiyagi1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
I’d choose the option that works:

Plug the phone into a 5 watt charger with a lightning cable while it’s a hotspot all day since that works and a 5 watt charger will charge it a little slower which is easier on the battery.

And use a HomeKit compatible smart plug to plug the charger into so you can make a charging automation in the Shortcuts App to turn the charger off when the battery reaches 75% full and back on when it drops to 65%.

Powering the phone that way will ensure that the battery will outlive the useful life of the phone (battery won’t wear out)
Thanks for the reply. I have followed your advice of just plugging the iPhone into a 5 watt charger instead. This has helped. I am not familiar with homekit compatible smart plugs. Are they expensive?

MrMiyagi1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Heat, too much and it stops charging. My 12PM max keeps overheating when I use it google maps. Screen dims and can’t see squat. Just gonna use my cars built in GPS
Thanks I know that now. I was just struggling to figure it out.

MrMiyagi1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
iPhones will stop charging if it determines the battery is taking on too much heat. Charging via MagSafe and turning on the hotspot is one surefire way of getting that to happen, unfortunately. Same thing happens on my end with the MagSafe battery pack.
Thanks I know that now. Never knew that before. I guess it’s a safety mechanism. This is why it’s set up this way.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

MrMiyagi1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
so the 12 Pro with personal hotspot turned on is on the Magsafe Duo,but battery goes down instead? is the charging icon there?
Yup you got it. However I know the reason this happens. Just need use my 5 watt plug while iPhone is on personal hotspot mode :)

MrMiyagi1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Hey so I was on a chat with Apple support. They informed me if I am using personal hotspot all day then only plug in my iPhone into the wall adapter when not using personal hotspot.

So not sure if this is correct or not. As it’s been 2 hours since I have been using personal hotspot from a 100% battery charge and also listening to podcasts at the same time my iPhone battery level is at 42% now. I still have 6 hours or work to go through. So I am thinking it’s best to just plug my iPhone into charge again while on my hour lunch.

I mean I don’t know if others who use personal hotspot all day how best they manage it. Is it best just to plug your iPhone into charge again while your not working?

The whole reason I am using personal hotspot is that I have recently got 5G coverage in my area and my 5G is downloads is like 900mb download and 100mb upload compared to 46mb download and 12mb upload on my home broadband internet.

I don’t want to purchase a separate mobile router. It’s only me who needs the faster internet so just seeing best options to work with this new set up.

This is my battery health so far and my iPhone 12 Pro is about 14 months old.

Attachments

• CB0F6E7D-19DA-4BA7-A441-D0C1751C249C.png
    CB0F6E7D-19DA-4BA7-A441-D0C1751C249C.png
    905.1 KB · Views: 99

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I am not familiar with homekit compatible smart plugs. Are they expensive?

You can find some at reasonable prices. I use the dual plug version + Apple 20W charger for my iPP 12.9 (always stays docked/plugged in at the office during the work week) and have iOS Shortcuts set to keep charge between 60-80%.

Reactions: MrMiyagi1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.