Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
I have an 128GB iphone and running out of storage.

There are about 80GB of pictures that i want to reduce.

Since i don’t want to pay apple 200GB icloud i back up my phone on my MBP.

Since this syncs with the picture folder i have decade old pictures on my iphone i don’t need. It would be fine if just the last maybe 2 years are stored on the phone. But all on my mac.

Whats the best strategy?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Since just syncing with Mac, simple.

Sync the pics that are on the Phone but not in Photos on Mac to the Mac. Turn off photo syncing for the phone: that should wipe all photos off the phone. Re-enable sync and select albums you want to sync in the sync options. Might be able to create a smart album that has a filter for date ("All photos since <date here>") and just sync that. Not sure since...

I keep my Photos library on an external SSD and is only plugged in when doing Photos stuff. Because of that, I've exported a few handfuls of pictures (family) and put them in a folder under Pictures and I sync that folder which is always available. So that's another option: make a folder of images, update that occasionally, and sync it to the phone.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
If you care about your photos make sure to implement a 3-2-1 backup strategy.
Amen to that. I am all in on iCloud, but I still make sure my Mac is set to download every photo completely (Optimize Storage is off) and then from there the Mac makes multiple backups of everything. I guess it sounds paranoid, but I've been taking digital photos for over 20 years now and they're irreplacable.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
So for now i could reduce quite a bit the number of pictures. The smart album did help. Thanks. I do backup on a ssd.

Now another problem: a lot of pictures are on the mac and iphone duplicates. The iphone doesn’t have them yet in the duplicates folder.
On the mac i first have to update to ventura to see if it will find them

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
So after ventura update the fotos app found about 6000 duplicats. I merged them all but there are still many more.

Neither in ios nor macos the duplicate folder shows up after a week of potential picture scanning.
Any ideas?
If i have a close look at the pictures they have a bit different tone but definitely same frame and time stamp.

Not sure if they come from icloud which i had activated for a couple of months and bad syncing.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.