Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hitmanbbq59

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2020
Back in 2014, Apple introduced the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. The difference back then though, compared to nowadays, is that the 6 plus got extra features that might have been worth it for people. The 6 Plus got:

Optical image stabilization
Landscape home screen
iPad-like apps in landscape
Higher resolution display (slightly, 401 ppi vs 326 for regular 6)

This also applied even further for the iPhone 7 series. The 7 plus got dual cameras over the regular 7. Same for 8 and 8 plus.

Nowadays, we do not get more bang-for-our-buck when purchasing Plus/Max models over the regular iPhones. The iPhone XS and XS Max were identical besides screen size and battery. The last thing they did for the plus/max models in a while was add a slightly different aperture on the 12 Pro Max for barely noticeable better nighttime photography. I suppose them changing the name to "max" over "plus" could justify that you aren't getting any additional changes, but I digress.

I want the Plus/Max models to be differed more compared to their counterparts. It is crazy that widgets on my 12 Pro Max portray the same amount of information as an iPhone 12 mini. We even have the same number of apps in rows and columns. The 12 Pro Max's software is a huge waste of space and I was hoping that iOS 15 would further differentiate it with split view, more rows for max models, landscape home screen, etc.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
I completely disagree with you - I'm 100% glad Apple is not making premium features to the bigger phones, because while I like having those premium features I prefer the smaller phone factor.

Reactions: snipr125 and ian87w

tedley

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Sacramento
Your point about the camera is true for all plus/max modes prior to the 12PM, but not for the 12PM.

It has more than an f-stop that lets in more light. It uses sensor-stabilization instead of lens stabilization which will benefit video. It also has a larger sensor. The larger sensor will allow more light to hit the sensor and therefore will create less noise in the image. This will allow you to crop more and see less noise. So the camera in the 12PM would be considered a noticeable upgrade by photo buffs over the camera in the 12 pro and 12.

Observation: I agree with you, I'd like to see more 'premium' features in the pro/max models to justify the additional $$$ other than the camera and battery life. If apple made it TOO big a difference, people would just whine about having to pay extra to get all the bells and whistles. Human nature.

Reactions: Hitmanbbq59

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Disagree. I'd rather both Max and regular models have the same features, differing only in size and battery. That way, it's less confusing as a consumer which one to pick. Besides, they both carry the same badge of iPhone name, eg. the same iPhone xx Pro. So as a consumer, I expect an iPhone Pro to have the same features as the iPhone Pro Max, with the Max just being larger. Apple already did a great job on the Xs and 11 Pro line.

Hitmanbbq59

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2020
Sell it and buy a mini. /the end
I thought of this because I enjoy the larger size...
Just is unfortunate I have to pay $1000+ for a larger display and the same user experience. If there was an iPhone 12 Max I would certainly buy that over the 12 PM.

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
I thought of this because I enjoy the larger size...
Just is unfortunate I have to pay $1000+ for a larger display and the same user experience. If there was an iPhone 12 Max I would certainly buy that over the 12 PM.
You want big you have to cough up the big bucks, same as iPads. I got mine new off gumtree for $520AUD off retail so was a no brainer, sold my 12.
Better camera with telephoto, bigger screen and the build on it is enough for me, not caught up in app size/rows, space wasted, user experience is/has been the same for years lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.