Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woolybully

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2021
So I’m pretty sure my iPhone is jailbroken but I have no idea how to confirm.

I’m a total novice when it comes to software but I for sure know something’s up because when I connected to iTunes on a PC my phone uploaded some sort of malware package immediately. I’ve looked for the Cydia app and don’t see it on my phone which seems to be the easiest sign. I’ve looked through the analytics and see that some of the apps like the “App Store” are bundled together which I assume is a clue. Also I’m fairly sure my web browsing has been tunneled. And after scouring through my settings there’s this weired little twitch that occurs when I go under the “health” subsection.

I restored my phone but unfortunately logged into my iCloud account and went down the rabbit hole again. So I assume that my current appleid is ruined.

Would I be able to restore and get rid of this considering I’m running 15 already?

Also is there any hope of actually finding the source since I’m now hooked on solving this?

Reactions: MeowOG

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
So I’m pretty sure my iPhone is jailbroken but I have no idea how to confirm.

I’m a total novice when it comes to software but I for sure know something’s up because when I connected to iTunes on a PC my phone uploaded some sort of malware package immediately. I’ve looked for the Cydia app and don’t see it on my phone which seems to be the easiest sign. I’ve looked through the analytics and see that some of the apps like the “App Store” are bundled together which I assume is a clue. Also I’m fairly sure my web browsing has been tunneled. And after scouring through my settings there’s this weired little twitch that occurs when I go under the “health” subsection.

I restored my phone but unfortunately logged into my iCloud account and went down the rabbit hole again. So I assume that my current appleid is ruined.

Would I be able to restore and get rid of this considering I’m running 15 already?

Also is there any hope of actually finding the source since I’m now hooked on solving this?
If your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS 15, it isn't jailbroken. In addition, there is no way your phone could be jailbroken on its own without you, or someone you gave complete access to phone, performing tasks outside the App Store.

Reactions: hg.wells

Woolybully

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2021
If your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS 15, it isn't jailbroken. In addition, there is no way your phone could be jailbroken on its own without you, or someone you gave complete access to phone, performing tasks outside the App Store.
I’m running 15.1, I bought this phone refurbished and previous neglected mobile security.

podycust

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2017
if your that worried I would do a full restore either in normal restore or in DFU mode from your PC again as that will wipe the system partition and data partition then install a fresh copy of iOS on it and set it up as new iPhone or restore a backup from your old iPhone not your new one!

What package did it upload to your PC?

As previous comments have said as there is no jail brake for iOS 15 or higher so its not jailbroken.

Woolybully

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2021
I’m not sure, a bunch of folders automatically downloaded to the pc on the home screen. I panicked when it happened, I was using a public computer so I just deleted everything quickly then reset the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.