Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slomojoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Canada
thinking of buying one to keep for emergencies

any suggestions on good brands / models ?

and can anyone tell me how long they stay charged when not in use ?

i would likely use mine 2-3 times a year

slomojoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Canada
You cannot go wrong with Anker, Mophie or Jackery. I have or had all three various sizes. Use them sporadically and they’ve never let me down.
hey thanks, can you give me an idea of, once they are fully charged, how long do they hold the charge, i would use probably as little as 2-3 times a year and would want to grab it in an emergency and know it is charged and ready to go

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
You cannot go wrong with Anker, Mophie or Jackery. I have or had all three various sizes. Use them sporadically and they’ve never let me down.
Anker!!! I’ve gotten a 10000mah for my gf, that she’s had for almost 4 years now. I got another one that’s 3 years old that 5000mah that is also a plug. I gave that to my dad A few months ago. And for emergencies (I’m in California and with the fires and power outage) I got a just got 26500mah one (it was $79 with $50 off, amazon sale) with USB-C fast charging. And that has been great.

I really love that brand because they truly last. Yes you can get a cheap one that’s $20 but Anker works and they’re a big company now. My dad got a cheapo one and the battery swelled.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
hey thanks, can you give me an idea of, once they are fully charged, how long do they hold the charge, i would use probably as little as 2-3 times a year and would want to grab it in an emergency and know it is charged and ready to go

For a very long time based on my experience - they seem to lose little over months in my drawer. I do top them off before extended use. I have Anker and RAVPower units that work great.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
I bought this one three years ago. It is a bit bulky for travel, but it is my absolute "go to" at home. Either on the patio or when I'm too lazy to plug in my phone. Tons of power, will charge my IP11Pro several times and retains a charge for many months.

Portable Charger Anker PowerCore 20100mAh - Ultra High Capacity Power Bank with 4.8A Output and PowerIQ Technology, External Battery Pack for iPhone, iPad & Samsung Galaxy & More (Black)
by AnkerDirect
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X5RV14Y/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_zasUDb2WR4VHX

Reactions: 1rottenapple

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Ya thats
I bought this one three years ago. It is a bit bulky for travel, but it is my absolute "go to" at home. Either on the patio or when I'm too lazy to plug in my phone. Tons of power, will charge my IP11Pro several times and retains a charge for many months.

Portable Charger Anker PowerCore 20100mAh - Ultra High Capacity Power Bank with 4.8A Output and PowerIQ Technology, External Battery Pack for iPhone, iPad & Samsung Galaxy & More (Black)
by AnkerDirect
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X5RV14Y/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_zasUDb2WR4VHX
ya that’s the model line, powercore 10000mah.

Reactions: iGeneo

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I have a couple of these Pisen Color Power Pro chargers... 10,000 mAh ... I've had them for almost 2 years now... they are light, extremely portable and hold the charge very well... about $20 each... unfortunately Amazon no longer has them available... highly recommended if you can find it.
51m8Mq1YUvL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Reactions: compwiz1202

slomojoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Canada
I have a couple of these Pisen Color Power Pro chargers... 10,000 mAh ... I've had them for almost 2 years now... they are light, extremely portable and hold the charge very well... about $20 each... unfortunately Amazon no longer has them available... highly recommended if you can find it.
thanks for the tip, how long will it keep power if you park it away for emergencies, like 6 months ? 3 months ?

slomojoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Canada
5 months is good so they can be checked like 2x a year just to be sure all topped up thanks !

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I know this thread is aging a bit, but I'm pretty excited about my new Aukey. USB C and A output, but what I'm excited about is having inputs of USB C, micro USB and Lightning! So my USB C to Lightning cable is used for both charging my phone from the power bank, as well as for charging the power bank from my USB C charger! Love it!

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Also from what I read it’s better to charge them every few months as opposed to once a year. I don’t think it’s good for lithium batteries to just sit there.
It's ok as long as you keep them charged to around 50%.
[automerge]1575046297[/automerge]
I know this thread is aging a bit, but I'm pretty excited about my new Aukey. USB C and A output, but what I'm excited about is having inputs of USB C, micro USB and Lightning! So my USB C to Lightning cable is used for both charging my phone from the power bank, as well as for charging the power bank from my USB C charger! Love it!
I got one like that on Amazon from some company that starts with a C. It has all the inputs and three USB A and one USB C outputs. Also shows the % of the bank and the V/A of input/output when connected. Weird thing is I must have gotten one of the last ones because when I looked for it again, I got page not found.
[automerge]1575046370[/automerge]
Same thing happened with a nice one I got from a company starting with a C. It was page not found when I went to look at it again after receiving.
[automerge]1575046447[/automerge]
I also like the iMuto ones I've gotten. They don't drain much when idle, and they show the % when you tap the power button or when charging. Also have C and Micro inputs. Plus I believe you can use both at once for faster charging.

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
I like the Anker PowerCore battery pack. 3 phone charges for each time you charge
It. It’s also not big and bulky which I like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.