Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
Can you get anything like this:

121613552971727full.jpg

Basically what I want is something like a screen protector but for the back. (covering the white outline)

I don't want a Invisible Shield or a Best Skins Ever as I don't want the film to go all the way around the buttons and headphone jack etc. I can never get them to fit well.

All I want is something to cover the main flat area on the back as that is what gets scratched putting from it down etc.

There has got to be something around i can buy thats what I'm after.

Any help?

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
You can buy custom sized Best Skin Ever, just cut the size you would like on the back and you're done. Or just buy the back piece of Best Skin Ever for like 6 bucks and cut that into a square.

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
You can buy custom sized Best Skin Ever, just cut the size you would like on the back and you're done. Or just buy the back piece of Best Skin Ever for like 6 bucks and cut that into a square.

Could I have a link to the custom size page?

I don't like cutting them, again I can never make a perfect job of it.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/the-24/DIY-Cut-To-Fit/Detail

I would just buy the back piece and cut a square, I'm telling you with a razor and a straight edge it will not be that hard. Not to mention the skin goes on pretty clear so you wouldn't really notice any slight imperfections. I've installed about 20+ of these skins so I always say go for the whole install, but I understand it is a pain in the ass.

I just ordered my full skin in preparation for the 3G-S

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
The square isn't the problem it's the camera cut out.

I honestly can't believe no where sells just the back areas.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
The Iphone 3G and 3G-S is curved. Even if you set it down that camera area is not going to touch the surface.

Just cut the piece a tad short of reaching the camera and you will have plenty of surface area covered so that when set down, your Iphone will only be resting on the skin. Trust me, I've done this.

Dude your answer is that skin, you're kind of making this harder than it needs to be. Not to mention you could just cut that corner rounded so it avoids the camera should you want your skin to go up higher.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a DecalGirl rear skin on my iPhone 3G (and reviewed it on my site). I don't think they have any clear ones, but the have over 350 designs to choose from and they're pretty inexpensive.

I used to use a full case with my iPhone all the time, but the DecalGirl skin does everything I want since I installed it and I haven't gone back to a fitted case for it (I used to use the Incase Slider). Perfect if you just want to make sure the back doesn't get scratched when you put it down somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.