Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnCrawley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2016
Hi everyone, hopefully this is the place I can put this. My friend told me to put it here for hopefully good help. I'm ****ing stressed out over this because IMO it should've been under the ECLC and I don't have the money they're asking for so I'll try explain this well...

Okay so here's the thing.. I'm from Ireland so the authorized Apple retail is Compu B.
I have bought my iPhone 7+ directly from Apple a year ago now (Out of warranty now). iPhone last Thursday suddenly stopped taking charge and any input (e.g: headphones and charger)

I have P.o.P via email.. I went into Compu B to hand up my phone last Friday.. Filled in a ECLC form. Basically if no damage/repair etc have been done and there's an actually problem that hasn't been done by me it can get a full replacement visa the ECLC for €25..

I got an email saying the following:

Repair Report:
SIGNS OF PHYSICAL DAMAGE AND UNAUTHORISED MODIFICATIONS FOUND INSIDE THE DEVICE
REAR CAMERA HAS A RED COLOUR PERMANENT MARKER STAMP ON IT
WILL NOT BE COVERED UNDER CONSUMER LAW CLAIM
DEVICE REQUIRES A WHOLE UNIT REPLACEMENT
COST OF THE REPLACEMENT IS 443€
PLEASE APPROVE OR REJECT

1.) I will state this.. I have NEVER brought this into a repair shop or anywhere for any kind of, "UNAUTHORISED MODIFICATIONS". This has been the first time I brought this phone for any kind of repair or anything..

2.) I'm very much unware of any, "RED COLOUR PERMANENT MARKER STAMP ON IT".

3.) If damage has actually been found (e.g: water damage) yes I can FULLY take responsibly. However the ONLY time I used water on the phone is to clean it and not a large amount like submerging it in water.. Just a tiny bit of water to clean the screen and all so it doesn't get dirty. However there has no damage that me or the employee of the shop could see on the iPhone when handing it up for this.

I have responded to Compu B email with this:

I would like to mention that my iPhone never got, “Unauthorized modifications”. Myself or anyone has never opened the iPhone to add “modifications”. Anything found on the iPhone or within the iPhone is how I got it directly from Apple. I’m being completely honest, I’m very much unaware of any of modifications on this iPhone especially the red marker.

I’m thinking is this even my iPhone you’re looking at?.. I’m asking because like I mentioned above, the iPhone I handed in is exactly how I got it from Apple. Myself or anyone else has never opened the iPhone to do any kind of work.

For the, “Physical damage”, may I ask what the physical damage is? (e.g: water damage, fall damage etc).

So now they're asking me to pay €39 for looking at the phone since because of their bs findings it wont fall under the ECLC along with the €443..

Hopefully I covered everything I need to with this and explained it well... I'm not sure what to do with this.
My friend mentioned that his mate has a similar thing happen with him so he brought up to Apple in Belfast and they replaced the phone without a problem. I'm not sure if I'm as lucky as with my iPhone it's 1 year out of warranty.. However with Compu B they said they could look at ECLC for it... I'm not sure with all this..

Any help is greatly appreciated!.

Edit #1-Problem: My iPhone suddenly wont take charge or input.. However when it completely died, I would try to charge it and it'll give me the red icon that it's charging. So I tried cleaning the input with some water. Not a lot. I brought it into Compu B and they tried charging it, mentioned the red icon that it's charging, the person working there also mentioned that they noticed this.. I doubt if there was water damage it would allow input charge to the phone.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The iPhone you bought probably wasn't new to begin with. There are customers who buy iPhones and replace the parts because want the OEM parts. The boxes are resealed and returned to Apple.

Your best bet is to bug Apple about it. They can trace the serial number. But given it's out of warranty, it may be tough.

Red markings usually indicate a refurbished or non-OEM part.
upload_2019-3-19_10-39-26.png

Reactions: russell_314

JohnCrawley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2016
The iPhone you bought probably wasn't new to begin with. There are customers who buy iPhones and replace the parts because want the OEM parts. The boxes are resealed and returned to Apple.

Red markings usually indicate a refurbished or non-OEM part.
View attachment 827171

Hmm... It shouldn't be refurbished (to my memory) because I bought it directly from the iPhone menu page... If my memory serves correctly..

Nerdyaf

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2019
Not too sure about Irish consumer laws, so cant really help. But water damage is determined by indicator stickers within your phone. They turn red when in contact with moisture, which doesn’t always mean that your phone is unusable

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Hi everyone, hopefully this is the place I can put this. My friend told me to put it here for hopefully good help. I'm ****ing stressed out over this because IMO it should've been under the ECLC and I don't have the money they're asking for so I'll try explain this well...

Okay so here's the thing.. I'm from Ireland so the authorized Apple retail is Compu B.
I have bought my iPhone 7+ directly from Apple a year ago now (Out of warranty now). iPhone last Thursday suddenly stopped taking charge and any input (e.g: headphones and charger)

I have P.o.P via email.. I went into Compu B to hand up my phone last Friday.. Filled in a ECLC form. Basically if no damage/repair etc have been done and there's an actually problem that hasn't been done by me it can get a full replacement visa the ECLC for €25..

I got an email saying the following:

Repair Report:
SIGNS OF PHYSICAL DAMAGE AND UNAUTHORISED MODIFICATIONS FOUND INSIDE THE DEVICE
REAR CAMERA HAS A RED COLOUR PERMANENT MARKER STAMP ON IT
WILL NOT BE COVERED UNDER CONSUMER LAW CLAIM
DEVICE REQUIRES A WHOLE UNIT REPLACEMENT
COST OF THE REPLACEMENT IS 443€
PLEASE APPROVE OR REJECT

1.) I will state this.. I have NEVER brought this into a repair shop or anywhere for any kind of, "UNAUTHORISED MODIFICATIONS". This has been the first time I brought this phone for any kind of repair or anything..

2.) I'm very much unware of any, "RED COLOUR PERMANENT MARKER STAMP ON IT".

3.) If damage has actually been found (e.g: water damage) yes I can FULLY take responsibly. However the ONLY time I used water on the phone is to clean it and not a large amount like submerging it in water.. Just a tiny bit of water to clean the screen and all so it doesn't get dirty. However there has no damage that me or the employee of the shop could see on the iPhone when handing it up for this.

I have responded to Compu B email with this:

I would like to mention that my iPhone never got, “Unauthorized modifications”. Myself or anyone has never opened the iPhone to add “modifications”. Anything found on the iPhone or within the iPhone is how I got it directly from Apple. I’m being completely honest, I’m very much unaware of any of modifications on this iPhone especially the red marker.

I’m thinking is this even my iPhone you’re looking at?.. I’m asking because like I mentioned above, the iPhone I handed in is exactly how I got it from Apple. Myself or anyone else has never opened the iPhone to do any kind of work.

For the, “Physical damage”, may I ask what the physical damage is? (e.g: water damage, fall damage etc).

So now they're asking me to pay €39 for looking at the phone since because of their bs findings it wont fall under the ECLC along with the €443..

Hopefully I covered everything I need to with this and explained it well... I'm not sure what to do with this.
My friend mentioned that his mate has a similar thing happen with him so he brought up to Apple in Belfast and they replaced the phone without a problem. I'm not sure if I'm as lucky as with my iPhone it's 1 year out of warranty.. However with Compu B they said they could look at ECLC for it... I'm not sure with all this..

Any help is greatly appreciated!.

Edit #1-Problem: My iPhone suddenly wont take charge or input.. However when it completely died, I would try to charge it and it'll give me the red icon that it's charging. So I tried cleaning the input with some water. Not a lot. I brought it into Compu B and they tried charging it, mentioned the red icon that it's charging, the person working there also mentioned that they noticed this.. I doubt if there was water damage it would allow input charge to the phone.

Please don’t add gasoline to fire by cleaning phone with water.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.