Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
So I have an iPhone, covered under AppleCare+. It has a damaged stainless steel band. I went in to the store to see how much it would cost to repair. In my calls with reps, and genius bar members, I was told that it costs $99 to replace the entire phone. And $29 to replace the back. Which includes the stainless steel band. (please let me know if this has been your experience)

I was told that I can not replace the back, because the back glass isnt' damaged. And since there is no part for the band it would be charged out of warranty 500. Even though I have apple care. Or 99 to replace the unit. But if I break the back glass its' 29? Huh?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
What's the problem with the band? Is it cosmetic damage that doesn't effect the performance of the phone? Applecare+ explicitly states cosmetic damage isn't covered in it's terms and conditions.. You might try to initiate an express replacement without bringing it to a store. It will cost $99 though

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
Well it is cosmetic damage. But there again lies confusion. A broken glass back is also cosmetic damage. But that is covered. An express replacement is also in some instances cosmetic damage.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Well it is cosmetic damage. But there again lies confusion. A broken glass back is also cosmetic damage. But that is covered. An express replacement is also in some instances cosmetic damage.
Broken rear glass is not just cosmetic. It is both a safety hazard and is susceptible to internal water/dust damage. The phone is rated for a sealed device, not a cracked device. A scuffed or scraped band doesn't impact the water/dust rating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.