Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob_88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
My mom texted me from her Ipad last night asking for ideas on wireless headphones. I was asleep. I woke up to a conversation where I replied "I found these..." with a link to headphones on amazon(more than 1 back-and-forth with links). I never even saw the text until the morning, let alone responded with links.

Any ideas out there on whats going on?

Thanks!

Rob_88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
don't be silly, i only sleep eat. 3 responses all in robot form. she asked if i heard of TV ears, iphone response " what would you like to know about them" then sent link to earbud type, which mom said wouldn't work due to hearing aid, then replied "ok, I found these..." and was a link to over-ear wireless headphones. definitely not my responses. Mine would have been, " what the hell are TV Ears???"

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Siri's not that smart yet. If it wasn't you, then someone else is signed into iMessage with your Apple ID. Considering the way families and friends share their Apple IDs for iTunes, it wouldn't be all that odd for one of those people to also sign into iMessage.

Rob_88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
That was obviously first thought. Nope. Text direct to me and no shared icloud devices anyways. Also, no one in my house speaks like a robot. The responses are typed out just like SIRI responds to questions. Very strange. Not saying it was SIRI, but that responses seem automated. hmmm, maybe alexa??(amazon Echo...)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
don't be silly, i only sleep eat. 3 responses all in robot form. she asked if i heard of TV ears, iphone response " what would you like to know about them" then sent link to earbud type, which mom said wouldn't work due to hearing aid, then replied "ok, I found these..." and was a link to over-ear wireless headphones. definitely not my responses. Mine would have been, " what the hell are TV Ears???"

I would take a look at your Mom's phone and look at the text and the "I" (information) to see who's number it is that is texting her. She might be able to do that and email you a screen capture.

Rob_88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
I would take a look at your Mom's phone and look at the text and the "I" (information) to see who's number it is that is texting her. She might be able to do that and email you a screen capture.

This is the best option yet. I'm not sure how she has it configured. She only shares with her husband and he didn't reply either, but you know...they're elderly. I also has it as a response from me(in blue bubbles). "geniuses" no help either. Ads are taking over.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
This is the best option yet. I'm not sure how she has it configured. She only shares with her husband and he didn't reply either, but you know...they're elderly. I also has it as a response from me(in blue bubbles). "geniuses" no help either. Ads are taking over.

A friend of mine started getting hundreds of texts with ads and all kind of offers. He finally had to change his cell number.

The info on your Mom's phone will tell the story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.