Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazman09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
So I had a mom and pop shop replace the battery in my iPhone about a month ago, and its been all downhill from there.

Currently my iPhone 6 is completely dead. It started with it just completly shutting off randomly 5-20 times per day (not an old battery problem as the battery was just replaced, and iOS is not reporting it as a weak battery). It will light up to the apple logo and boot loop when connected to power, but does NOTHING when connected to a computer. The store guy claims its a software issue and that I need to now take it to an apple store and they will fix it in 5 minutes. The nearest apple store is still 185mi away. Im maybe not expecting to fix it now myselft, just looking for insight as to why its behaving the way it is.

Why would it at least show the apple logo while connected to power, but do nothing when connected to USB PC or mac (PC doesnt make a sound). Connected to PC fine 4 days ago for a backup.

Im looking at getting a Xr as a replacement, but money is tight right now and was hoping to wait till Sept. Might just have to role now. Also hate that a perfectly good phone is now toast. was going to give to my dad, and he pass his phone on. This breaks that chain now.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Why would it at least show the apple logo while connected to power, but do nothing when connected to USB PC or mac (PC doesnt make a sound). Connected to PC fine 4 days ago for a backup.
The battery is dead (or cannot supply full power). Most phones I have repaired have problems turning on without a battery (they usually cannot). MacBooks limit the CPU to 50% without the battery. The power supply likely gives more power than the computer, so the screen is lighting up. Most computers give 0.5A by default while the official charger gives 1A, but if the phone needs 1.1A you will get a reset. The Macs past 2013 or so can give up to 2.1A for iOS devices, but the device has to negotiate for the extra current so it might mot help. Have you tried a iPad charger? The newest iPhones can take advantage of bigger power bricks but I am not sure about the iPhone 6.

The phone needs a large surge of power during boot up so anytime it meets this point it runs out of power and resets. This is why devices demand at least 50% battery before they let you update. In any case, if you are lucky a new battery will fix this. Otherwise you are looking at an even bigger repair (the internal battery plug is quite easy to rip or or otherwise damage).

Perhaps look into an old iPhone in good condition?

dazman09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
The battery is dead (or cannot supply full power). Most phones I have repaired have problems turning on without a battery (they usually cannot). MacBooks limit the CPU to 50% without the battery. The power supply likely gives more power than the computer, so the screen is lighting up. Most computers give 0.5A by default while the official charger gives 1A, but if the phone needs 1.1A you will get a reset. The Macs past 2013 or so can give up to 2.1A for iOS devices, but the device has to negotiate for the extra current so it might mot help. Have you tried a iPad charger? The newest iPhones can take advantage of bigger power bricks but I am not sure about the iPhone 6.

The phone needs a large surge of power during boot up so anytime it meets this point it runs out of power and resets. This is why devices demand at least 50% battery before they let you update. In any case, if you are lucky a new battery will fix this. Otherwise you are looking at an even bigger repair (the internal battery plug is quite easy to rip or or otherwise damage).

Perhaps look into an old iPhone in good condition?

Thanks

This is one of the things I suspected was a possibility. I thought there was a chance their aftermarket battery was crap. The iPhone has been shutting down randomly, and it kept getting worse, and I have a feeling it finally just died. Im surprised iOS didnt detect the shutdown's and put the phone into performance throttle mode. I wanted to try it myself, but Apple hides the option until iOS detects a weak battery. Maybe this battery doesnt have the proper protocols for apple to diagnose/test the battery?

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Maybe this battery doesnt have the proper protocols for apple to diagnose/test the battery?
The phone might be waiting for a few cycles before announcing a problem, to make sure. Or the health declined too rapidly to trigger the setting. But I would say that the battery doesn't need anything extra as the phone itself can monitor the power delivered by the battery. More likely this is Apple detecting 3rd party parts and disabling the setting, like when they disabled the touchscreen in iOS 11 if you dared to repair the screen somewhere other than Apple.

Depending on how handy you are with tiny screws and glued down screens, you can try to replace the battery yourself. It is a fiddly job with a delicate screen ribbon cable and a glued down screen and fractionally different sized screws. Definitely see the iFixIt guide (they also sell batteries and are considered better than the eBay ones, but more expensive). Not for the faint of heart but not impossible.

dazman09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
T
The phone might be waiting for a few cycles before announcing a problem, to make sure. Or the health declined too rapidly to trigger the setting. But I would say that the battery doesn't need anything extra as the phone itself can monitor the power delivered by the battery. More likely this is Apple detecting 3rd party parts and disabling the setting, like when they disabled the touchscreen in iOS 11 if you dared to repair the screen somewhere other than Apple.

Depending on how handy you are with tiny screws and glued down screens, you can try to replace the battery yourself. It is a fiddly job with a delicate screen ribbon cable and a glued down screen and fractionally different sized screws. Definitely see the iFixIt guide (they also sell batteries and are considered better than the eBay ones, but more expensive). Not for the faint of heart but not impossible.

Just tried the original battery that was still at 93% when I changed it. Also tried it while plugged into a 12w iPad charger, but it still just loops with the Apple logo.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
This says that if there are missing resistors near the battery socket (pulled off during the battery plug prying) the phone boot loops: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View...tantly+Reboots+and+unchanging+battery+percent
You might be able to see something if you are in a well lit location, but you might need a magnifying glass or even a camera with close-up mode.

Some people seem to have dirty battery contacts and fix their boot loop with contact cleaner.

In any case, something more interesting than a bad battery has happened. You can try a software reset to factory fresh (you lose everything not backed up) but I wouldn’t bet on it. Or leave it plugged in for an hour or so and see if anything changes. I don't see how it is a software issue, as phones used to have removable batteries (remember those?) and I don't recall any problems after swapping, even to unofficial batteries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.