Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Namocol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2015
Short version: Don't have unlock code in an iphone 5, tried to restore with itunes by forcing recovery, but download takes longer than 15 minutes and iphone restarts and doesn't finish the restore.

Long version: My wife's sister gave her her old Iphone 5 when she got a new Iphone 6, problem is, it's been a while since she used it when my wife got it (it was sent from Switzerland to Venezuela) so she doesn't remember the 4 digits unlock code.

From what I read, the only way around it is to do a restore from itunes, erasing all the data (it's ok, we were planning to do that anyway)... but the problem is that venezuelan internet isn't that fast so the download takes longer than 15 minutes, so it never finishes as the iphone restarts long before that.

So here's my question... is there any way to get around that?. Maybe something like making the iphone stay longer than 15 minutes in recovery mode, a way to download the files before doing the restore process or make it restore it using whatever version it already has instead of downloading the latest ones?

Note that I can't access the phone without the unlock code, so I can't connect it on itunes without entering recovery mode (it tells me to accept the query on the phone itself).

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Are you using a Windows computer to restore the phone? If so, would you mind posting the log file located here:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Updater Logs

There should be a text file which corresponds to the date/time that the restore failed.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Can you try this to see if it helps? I'm not 100% sure if this method works in Recovery mode but I believe it does.

1. Download the appropriate software file on your own time...that way you can just let it download all night.

Here are direct links to the iOS software files..
http://www.iphonehacks.com/download-iphone-ios-firmware

2. Plug your iPhone into the computer and open iTunes. Open up the Summary page for the phone where you see info about the phone...Check for Updates and Restore...Backups...etc.

3. Put your phone into recovery mode (which it sounds like you already know how to do)

3. Hold the shift key and click the Restore button

4. Manually locate the operating system file you just downloaded and follow the steps on the screen to begin the restore.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesMB
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.