Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katie365

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
Loulé, Portugal
Hi,

I am about to do a iPhone restore after the iOS13 update failed. I will then restore from an encrypted backup I did just before I attempted to update.

If I restore to factory settings and then restore from the encrypted backup I made what am I likely to lose? Will I lose Apps... or contacts...photos? Or what else might not get restored?

Also, I didn't sync my phone before doing the update...will that do anything?

I just want to know what I might lose before I do the restore... or consider one of those recovery software.... if they work at all...

If anyone can help me It will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Katie

Khorn

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
Germany
If you did an encrypted iTunes backup and it finished correctly, you shouldn't really lose anything.
Did you use any of the iCloud services for syncing?

Reactions: katie365

Khorn

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
Germany
Sorry, I forgot an important info.
I think you still can't restore an old iOS backup to a newer version. So you would have to restore to iOS 12 restore the data and try the update again.

Just checked again. You should be able to restore the backup directly to iOS 13

Last edited:
Reactions: katie365

katie365

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
Loulé, Portugal
Sorry, I forgot an important info.
I think you still can't restore an old iOS backup to a newer version. So you would have to restore to iOS 12 restore the data and try the update again.

Just checked again. You should be able to restore the backup directly to iOS 13

I was successful in restoring my iPhone from the backup I made! Everything was there! Thanks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.