Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
My iPhone 6 Plus was disabled (connect to iTunes). So I restored my iPhone. But after restoring my iPhone to the latest iOS 12.1.4, the system is unstable and has many problems.

My iPhone 6 Plus used to have many big or small problems(iOS 10, iOS 11), and people advised me to "Do a Clean iOS Install".

Because the iPhone was disabled, and I could not "Remove All Content and Settings" before restoring the iPhone. Is this the reason that the just installed iOS 12.1.4 still cannot fix the previous problems, and is unstable?

Should I "Remove All Content and Settings", and restore the iOS again?

Thanks.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My iPhone 6 Plus was disabled (connect to iTunes). So I restored my iPhone. But after restoring my iPhone to the latest iOS 12.1.4, the system is unstable and has many problems.

My iPhone 6 Plus used to have many big or small problems(iOS 10, iOS 11), and people advised me to "Do a Clean iOS Install".

Because the iPhone was disabled, and I could not "Remove All Content and Settings" before restoring the iPhone. Is this the reason that the just installed iOS 12.1.4 still cannot fix the previous problems, and is unstable?

Should I "Remove All Content and Settings", and restore the iOS again?

Thanks.
Did you set it up as new when you restored it?

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
Did you set it up as new when you restored it?

What do you mean by "Did you set it up as new when you restored it?".

Because the iPhone was disabled (connect to iTunes), I took my iPhone to an Apple Store. People at the Apple Store asked me to use my Apple ID to login to the iCloud(can't recall precisely) before restoring.

Since I did not backup my iPhone, all data was lost. I setup the iPhone, but seems some settings were already synced.

I'm not sure if I was asked to "set up as new" when restore.

Thanks.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
What do you mean by "Did you set it up as new when you restored it?".

Because the iPhone was disabled (connect to iTunes), I took my iPhone to an Apple Store. People at the Apple Store asked me to use my Apple ID to login to the iCloud(can't recall precisely) before restoring.

Since I did not backup my iPhone, all data was lost. I setup the iPhone, but seems some settings were already synced.

I'm not sure if I was asked to "set up as new" when restore.

Thanks.
When you restore it asks if you want to restore from a backup or setup as new (not sure of the exact wording). One puts whatever settings and apps you had from the backup and the other is like if you just bought an iPhone for the first time.

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
When you restore it asks if you want to restore from a backup or setup as new (not sure of the exact wording).

Yeah, I chose "Setup As New".

So does it remove all content and settings automatically? Why my iPhone is still having problems?

Thanks.

Fruit Stand

Suspended
Apr 25, 2016
YYZ
You haven’t really explained what issues you’re experiencing, as likely that software wasn’t the problem in your case and it’s hardware depending on what you’re seeing there.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
^^^^This.

If having issues across major OS releases, sounds like having hardware issues. And since out of warranty, either pricey replacement cost, or, pricey upgrade to new phone.

Oh and: setup as new is a clean install, as long as you did nkt transfer settings, restore from backup.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

nope. however the fact that you say you had problems on older iOS versions might be the issue. because if you have issues across multiple iOS versions, the issue was probably never software. which you probably would have discovered if you had tried the restores and perhaps you'd already have a replacement phone (and perhaps one replaced under warranty, whereas not it's likely not)

EDLIU

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
My iPhone(iOS 12.4.1) went mad today. The Siri started itself again and again and could not be shut down. The Music played songs at an unnormal speed. I shutdown and restarted my iPhone and it's the same.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.